Help the Ones You Care About | Teen Ink

Help the Ones You Care About

May 27, 2008
By Anonymous

Who do you care about most? Your family, your pets, your friends? Those are the people who you would never want hurt, yet every day we hurt ourselves, each other, and our world. Litter, gas fumes, wastefulness; there isn’t a single person who hasn’t dropped something on the ground thinking “it’s just a small thing, no one will notice” or decided to drive someplace that they could have walked to, just because they didn’t want to take the extra time. People take hour-long showers, leave water running, and keep lights on even when they aren’t needed. All of these things are destroying the Earth, and yet we don’t bother to do anything about it. Many people, when hearing about this, think that it’s just an over reaction, that what they do doesn’t matter – after all, it’s not like they’re out there chopping down trees. Despite the justifications that people make, what every person does counts, and can either help save or destroy our planet. By being careless, we hurt the ones we love; they no longer have a clean, healthy environment to live in, but have to live in a world were everything is being ruined. Though we may still be able to live well enough right now, the generations that come after us will have an increasingly hard time sustaining the Earth and living on it, if we don’t start repairing the damage we’ve done, now. You don’t have to go out and join an environmental group or anything of the sort. All you need to do to help is just watch what you do, and don’t be wasteful.