Let’s Make a Difference | Teen Ink

Let’s Make a Difference

March 20, 2013
By Rosaelenacastro21 BRONZE, Miami, Florida
Rosaelenacastro21 BRONZE, Miami, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Our ecosystem is the life surrounding us. It gives us the beauty that fuels us and motivates us to change our ways. Keeping the environment clean is beneficial because it allows us to be pure and makes us appreciate what is cleaner. We can help the environment by not littering and by adjusting how much energy we use.

Waste is a hazard for our ecosystem. The uncontrollable random fires that happen in forests are usually started by anthropogenic influences. They kill many animals, suffocate them or upset their diets. Litter often contains contaminants that leak into the environment and pollute the waters and crops. The litter being dumped into rivers or streams can accumulate and alter the path of the current. It can sometimes build a barrier causing the water not to flow. Litter can cause an increase in diseases by accelerating the reproduction of mosquito's where the water is stagnant.

In order to save energy, we need to decrease the amount of energy used daily. Using less energy is one of the best ways to save money and help the environment. For energy to be created takes many natural resources like gas and oil. That is why using less energy helps preserve natural resources. To save energy, we can ride the bus to work, or walk, rather than taking the car. We can reduce the heat in our house by one degree and turn off lights and appliances when they are not being used. We can use energy-saving light bulbs, re-use plastic bags, and use the microwave rather than the stove to reheat food.

These are just a few of the many ways that we can help the environment. It might not seem like much, but the small actions are the ones that make a difference. Help us keep the earth safe and clean, free from harm and pure as can be.


The author's comments:
The environment has always and will always be important. Taking care of it is our duty. I wish that people would open their eyes and see all the damage that they cause to the environment with pollution and littering. We should treat the environment like our bodies, with love and care. We wouldn't want waste in us, and neither does the environment. I hope that I am able to inspire at least one person because that one person could turn out and make a great change.