Animal Cruelty Must Stop | Teen Ink

Animal Cruelty Must Stop MAG

By jennyxleigh BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia
jennyxleigh BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

Every day in the United States animals are beaten, neglected, or forced to struggle for survival. Left in unsanitary conditions with no food or water, they have little hope as they live out their days without the compassion they deserve. Some are found and rescued, given the chance to experience how great life and humans can be; others aren't so lucky. To grow as a nation, we must fight for these abused animals' rights and severely punish heartless owners. It is up to us to speak for these creatures who lack a voice, for who will if we don't?

One of the first steps in protecting animals and ­creating effective cruelty laws is knowing what animal cruelty actually is. There are two categories: passive cruelty and active cruelty. The first ­involves acts of omission, meaning the abuse happens as a result of neglect or lack of action. Passive cruelty might seem less serious, but that is not the case; it can lead to terrible pain and suffering, and ultimately death. Examples include starvation, dehydration, untreated parasite infestations, inadequate shelter in extreme weather conditions, and the failure to get medical care. Passive cruelty is sometimes due to the owner's ignorance, so many animal control officers will first try to educate neglectful owners on how to properly care for animals before giving them a citation or placing them under arrest.

Active cruelty, on the other hand, is more well known and disturbing. Sometimes referred to as non-accidental injury, this type of abuse involves purposefully inflicting harm on an animal in order to feel more powerful or gain control. Active cruelty against animals should be taken very seriously, since it can be a sign that a person has serious psychological issues and may commit more acts of violence – possibly against humans.

It is hard to tell just what drives people to harm innocent animals. “According to a 1997 study done by the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Northeastern University, animal abusers are five times more likely to commit violent crimes against people and four times more likely to commit property crimes than are individuals without a history of animal abuse,” says Pet-abuse.com. It is vital to report people who hurt animals. Most animal abusers find some sort of fulfillment or power in torturing a victim they know can't fight back, which is why crimes like rape and child molestation are committed. While not all animal abusers become serial killers or rapists, it is important to take every case seriously.

For example, Carroll Edward Cole was a West Coast serial killer who may have murdered as many as 35 women in the 1970s and ྌs, and was executed in 1985. Based on Cole's testimony, his first violent act was strangling a puppy. The Columbine school shooting is another example of animal abuse as a precursor to human violence. Before killing 12 classmates and then turning the guns on themselves, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebod had bragged to friends about mutilating animals. If these acts had been reported to authorities and taken seriously, these two young men might have been put in a proper facility and helped, possibly avoiding the horrific massacre.

Given these examples, it's hard to imagine why all states don't take animal cruelty seriously. Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi, North Dakota, and South Dakota have no felony provisions for cruelty to animals. According to the Humane Society, a good felony anticruelty law should protect all animals, apply to first-time offenders, carry large fines and lengthy prison time, have no exemptions, require convicted abusers to get counseling at their own expense, and prohibit abusers from owning or living among animals. Along with these laws we need officials who will strongly enforce them. Police, psychologists, and even the FBI recognize the link between animal cruelty and violence against people. To better protect communities, all states should institute strong penalties and work to increase public awareness of these crimes.

It's not only up to the legal system to ensure that communities across the country are aware and educated about animal cruelty. There are plenty of things everyday citizens can do. The simplest action is for people to take care of their own pets and learn the facts so they can educate others on proper animal care. Another easy way to help is by donating to or volunteering at a local animal shelter. Contrary to popular belief, volunteering doesn't require a lot of time; simply going in a few hours a week helps tremendously. Finally, by writing letters you can remind your local lawmakers that animal abuse is a real problem that needs to be addressed. Taking a few minutes to support this worthy cause not only helps animals, it allows you to feel proud about standing up for something so important to society.

It is our job to be the voice for creatures who cannot speak up for themselves. As a nation we need to make it our priority to come together and ensure the safety of our beloved pets. As Margaret Mead once said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

I wrote this paper as an assignment for my english class, and feel very strongly about the issue of animal cruelty.

LettaToCute said...
I love animals and to read about how they are being beatin is horrible people in the world dont see how important it is to have a pet in their life. Killing animals and torturing them  is the worst thing that anybody can do. I love my dog and if something ever happen to her I dont know what i will do. But this essay really had me thinkin about how important it is to have animals in your life.

piggy333 said...
i agree w/ you

LeahB. BRONZE said...
LeahB. BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
This is a very good essay. I'm actually doing an animal cruelty essay for my english class as well and this gave me inspiration to look for more links about animal abuse and people abuse to use in my essay :)

Cerberus SILVER, Middletown, Ohio

"Be a leader, not a follower."

did you know that even early on as cave men wolves helped is survive? its rly kind of interesting.

i know it fells bad cause my horse went throught the same and i will kill the man who did it to Montana

Shelbers said...
I am completely intrigued by this article.  I have always been a strong supporter of ending animal cruelty.  I am just glad to see that people are trying to inform others of this growing problem.

-----
Also, for the people who are commenting about child abuse, which is also very important.  Take in consideration that this article pertains mostly to animal cruelty so there won't be much content in it about child abuse.  But yes, we should also fight against child abuse.

Rozaa SILVER said...
Rozaa SILVER, San Marcos, California

I love it when my fingers are entwined in yours, and the tingly sensation i got when you touched me. It made me feel so safe so loved; so totally bouned to you. forver. And i still am even though you left me.

I think it is so wrong what people do to animals. I could never imagen hurting a animal. I love animals! Great article.

babeefaceee said...
hey luke c. are you a jehovah witness??

Wolfheart BRONZE, Aslan&#39s Country, California
This is a great article and very informative. I am very big on preventing animal abuse, recycling, helping endangered species, etc. so this is the sort of thing that gets me going.

Yes, as long as I'm credited it's fine :)

NatureMuzic said...

Jenny, great article, but as long as the party credited you with you being the author, that shouldn't be the point here,

I attached it to a site, Care2.org as it was so well written & the good folks there will appreciate your concern.

Thank you Jenny

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

I completely agree but at the same time, while millions of people are fighting to save animals which are replaceable from abuse, millions upon millions of children around the world are being abused worse than an animal. Animals are only abused physically (and while I'm not saying it's right) while children are abused physically, mentally AND sexually. They don't have voices either.

Yohan Nokka said...
it does need to stop animals are living and have feelings like humans

Wolfventures GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Stay gold, Ponyboy

yes animal abuse should stop. animals did nothing wrong to us they try to please us every way they can.

Wait, did you use this exact essay for a speech? Because that is called plagiarism.

mcapps (: said...
i used this for a speech of mine.  I feel very strongly about the topic and i agree with the autor 100 percent!!

BuBbL3Z SILVER said...
BuBbL3Z SILVER, Gobles, Michigan
The author is completely right, animal cruelty should be stopped.  God gave us these creatures so they should be left alone.

You are completely missing the point of this article Sarahcuda. The Lord stating that He put animals on this earth for our consumption has absolutely nothing to do with animal cruelty in the sense that I am discussing it in this essay. If you want to discuss such things, find an article that is relevant to that topic rather than harassing my readers.

Sarahcuda said...
Wow . . . I "discust" you? This prooves that you truly do live in 'LaLaLand.'
The Good Lord placed animals on Earth for our consumption. He provides us with incredible nutrients that all of these wacko vegans and vegetarians are missing out on!

Mia54 BRONZE said...
Mia54 BRONZE, Lakeforest, Maryland
You are just causing trouble. I suggest you do some research and realize that not every vegetarian or person who cares about animals is a member of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). Seriously, get a life.