Interi, Seatbelts, and Car Crashes | Teen Ink

Interi, Seatbelts, and Car Crashes

By Keys21 SILVER, Covington, Louisiana
Keys21 SILVER, Covington, Louisiana

" An object in motion tends to stay in motion, until it meets some afflicting net force", Sir Issac Newton. Nearly 1.3 million people die in car crashes each year, on average that is equal to 3,287 deaths per day. (asirt.org) Car crashes are the leading cause of death for people age 4- 27 in the US. Failure to use seat belts, and air bag failure follows as the second leading cause of death relating to car crashes. (AAA Exchange) You might be wondering how this relates to Newton's first law, so hear it is.

Newton's first law clearly states that an object in motion will continue to stay in motion. In other words if you get in a car crash and the car flings you, you are gonna keep going. However if you look at the second attribute of his statement you will see that it also says until it meets a net force. Let's repeat the same scenario over again, if you get in a car crash and the car flings you, you are going to keep moving. That is until you meet an afflicting net force, which would be the seat belts, and the air bags.  Now you see that this relates to Newton's first law perfectly. The object in motion, which would be the person will stay in motion, until it meets am afflicting force, the seat belts and air bags. So the next time you get in a car, buckle up and remember science is all around you.