Gay Marriage in the US | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage in the US MAG

As you may know, gay marriage is one of the most controversial subjects today. I happen to disagree with gay marriage and here's why. I've seen gay people, on TV and in real life, and I have no problem with them but I don't like the idea of them getting married. Take for example last year at Disneyland when there was a gay activist party. Guys were kissing and performing sexual acts in public, not even caring who saw them. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to things like that. This is a family theme park and to expose the public to their personal life is wrong.

Also, gay marriage is unconstitutional. America was built on the Constitution. I wonder what our founding fathers would say about gay marriage. Gay marriage is also against most religions and isn't same-sex marriage against God's plan? I also think that the towns that married gays should have the book thrown at them. Take Multnomah County, OR. They gave out something like 200 marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The law has not been changed yet so why does Multnomah marry them? It's just like saying "Well, the speed limit is 50 but I feel like going 90." It's no different, it's total anarchy and it's wrong.

I was taught by my parents to be a good person and obey the rules no matter if it was in my house or the world. Gay marriage is against the law and that is why I disagree with it.

Editor's Note: Though there has been talk of a Constitutional ban on gay marriage, it is not currently technically unconstitutional.

runandgo BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania

sometimes you get run down. sometimes life throws dirt in your eyes and it stings and you can't see for a few minutes. even after you get it out your eyes are all red and your vision is s***ty... but eventually, whether through tears or maybe just time... you start to see even clearer than before. life is not always good. which is why music exists. why i believe God exists. and why there's always a pint of coconut milk ice cream in my freezer.

The Bible also says that eating pork and shellfish is a sin, and that you can be stoned to death for wearing clothes woven from two different types of thread. Please stop twisting the words of the Lord to fit your own purposes. Many things in the Bible are no longer relevant. You know what is? The main messages of the Bible - Jesus is the Son of God, and love thy neighbor.

How do you say "I have no problem" with gay people, but then go on to say that the idea of marrying who you love is unconstitutional? You're literally saying that you don't want someone to have the same rights as you. Call me crazy, but that's a ridiculously hateful thing to say. Also, if you consider kissing a sexual act, I guess you had better yell at all the straight people who do it, too. You know what it says in the Bible? "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Far more often than it says that homosexuality is a sin (just like eating pork and shellfish). My parents taught me that, too.

GhostGal17 said...
GhostGal17, Leesburg, Virginia
Also gay marriage isnt against the law, where does it say that it's against the law...hmmmmmmm... no where. And when people kiss in public it's wrong with homosexual people? NO!, so people who are straight can kiss in public and do sexual act in public also because our generation now is messed up! Toni

LaRomanichelle BRONZE, Howell, Michigan

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

1. You say you have no problem with gay people, yet you don't want them to have the same rights as you. 2. If it's wrong for homosexuals to display affection publicly, is it wrong for heterosexuals to do the same? I saw two straight people doing the do on the transit before. And yet, straight people can still marry. 3. Where, in the Constitution, does it mention marriage at all? Let alone gay marriage? 4. Using that logic, you also support slavery. Afté

dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,

"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."

I strongly agree with the suggestion to vote. Alot of people who are against gay marriage actually do not know any gay people. They have never actually engaged in a conversation with a gay person. It just shows that people are afraid of things they are not comfortable or acquainted with.

dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,

Last but not least, I can strongly assume that you do not know a single gay person, nor have had a conversation to someone with a different sexual orientation. One scene of "Public display of affection" should not alter ones opinion. There are thousands of gay people in the United States, many are in and out of the closet, therefore there is no certain number. If you don't have a problem with gay people in real life or television, then why are you against them marrying? Duality is expired in the nation and I highly recommend you to realize that.

dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,

So sorry, but strong opinions are magnetic to strong opinionated rebuttals. Exceeding speed limits are indeed unlawful. Not anarchy. Anarchy is without government. Speed limits do not impose anarchy. And as the editors have confirmed: gay marriage is not technically unconstitutional, therefore no law is broken and it is not anarchy.

dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,

I agree with when you say that the people kissing in public isn't appropriate simply because you and I must share pet peeves on public display of affection, as do many. A lot of us can agree on that. Gay or straight, public display of affection is sketchy. As noted by the editor, gay marriage is not unconstitutional. When you state that gay people should, "have the book thrown at them," you seem pretty political and religious altogether (I apologize greatly if that seems rude, I have no intention to insult you and your opinion because I respect that). Saying this, I must make fact that the laws of the United States are based off the Constitution, not the Bible nor the religions in the United States.

Boomer671 said...
I disagree. For one thing, you've directed the whole sexual activity thing to only the gays, it would be no different if it were to be a bunch of straight people performing those sexual acts. I'm pretty sure no parents would want their kids to see that too. Remember, there is a separation of church and state when it comes to the constitution and declaring same sex "unconstitutional" because of religion is unconstitutional itself. There are various religions that reside. Everyone has different beliefs and values...but wouldn't it be bias and unfair if someone who is against it were to decide, or even for it. It should be the people's choice and I think that the ONLY fair way would to have the people vote...not just a one person call.

kmmy0206 said...
Although, I respect your beliefs, I do not believe that YOUR PERSONAL beliefs should dictate whether an ENTIRE group of people should or should not get married. What puts your beliefs on top of others? Nothing. By legalizing gay marriage, it is giving homosexuals a choice of marriage. A choice that nobody has a right to deprive them of. Gay marriage is a choice, and if you do not support it-don't. But also don't try to deprive others of happiness. Love is Love. No mater what sexual orientation they are.

ISeetheStars SILVER, Minerva, Ohio

"The marks Humans leave are too often scars." -John Green, the Fault in our Stars.

I totally agree with this. Even thou you may love someone of the same sex it does not mean that you have to display it to the public, let alone in front of a bunch of kids. Yes, later in life they will be exposed to that, but does it have to be a Disney land? A family oriented place? Uh, no. Plus, i think it's the parents job to teach their kid right and later on learn that stuff. Not from someone else.

FeelingRandom GOLD, Muscat, Other
13 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don’t turn out – take another shot."- Unknown

By saying that you don't like the idea of kids being exposed to personal lives, you are also saying that you don't like the idea of a heterosexual couple kissing in public. I am pretty sure that doesn't bother you. Also you mentioned what our founding fathers would say. They would disagree with many ideas that are considered normal today. They feared diversity in a way. Look at the US now. An idea in the beginning is always considered weird or wrong at first. In other words, I disagree with you.

readlovewrite SILVER, Greensboro, North Carolina

"Be quick to listen, and slow to speak, and even slower to judge."

I have to say that I disagree with you, but I am curious why it matters to you who a person chooses to love and marry. You say in your first paragraph that gays should not expose the public to their PERSONAL LIVES, so where do you draw the line between a personal decision and a governmental decision?

Haleybearmonton PLATINUM, Richmondville, New York

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

You just put into words exacally what i was thinking. (:

Niyaroo PLATINUM, Colonial Beach, Virginia
I agree with you; gay marriage is wrong and scripturally condemned, but if you want someone to understand that, you show them what the bible says in love.

ProfessionalJaywalker GOLD, Rockville, Maryland

"Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore." -Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

I disagree with you, Dan. I'm going to address your arguments in the same order you presented them. I'm guessing that you won't feel so strongly if heterosexuxal couples were making out in Disneyland. I don't know this for sure, since you didn't mention it, but I think that's a safe guess. Anyway, to say "to expose the public to their personal life is wrong" is rather confusing to me. Isn't that what celebrities do all the time, sharing details about themselves with the world? Maybe you also have some strong opinions about that too, I honestly don't know, and I don't mean that to be snarky. I would argue that gay marriage is very constitutional, as others have said. Just because it's against the law in many places does not make it unconstiutional. A key prinicipal of America's goverment is the concept of Separation of Church and State. Hence why I believe that any argument that a religion has against gay marriage is invalid. I think restrictions on gay marriage is downright oppression, because one can presume that in the personal belief system of those who want to get gay married, gay marriage is okay. So, the way I see it, the religions against gay marriage are trying to force their beliefs onto the people who have different values. As for what the founding fathers would think, they certainly did have some good ideas in terms of how to set up a government. (Hey, a lot were stolen from John Locke, but whatever. Another discussion.) That being said, most of them were racist and sexist. They were far from perfect, and "what would the founding fathers think" isn't really valid today. Would the founding fathers think women and non-white people should be able to vote? Most of them would probably say "absolutely not." Finally, I don't see eye to eye with your logic that "gay is marriage is against the law and that is why I disagree with it." Looking back on history and you'll see that a lot of laws were pretty awful. Like anyone besides rich white males having the right to vote. Or segregation. Or, I don't know, um, slavery. Sure, things like murder are against the law and that's obviously a very, very good thing. But in my opinion, to marry whom you love is a fundamental human right. I don't think anyone should be able to take that away from someone else because their religion says so.

Canadotas PLATINUM, Harrisonburg, Virginia

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” --Albert Einstein

You have nothing wrong with gay people? Your entire piece speaks against that. Look, I don't care whether you support it or not. I'll argue for the extension of rights as much as I can, but your opinions are as valid of mine. But one's opinion does not constitute denying people rights. Furthermore, if people love each other, their displays should not threaten children. Displays of pure love are good for children in this world where the only threat to the sanctity of marriage is the huge divorce rate.

CharleyLatta BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." -- Mother Theresa

You said: "Gay marriage is against the law and that is why I disagree with it." so if you lived in Massachusetts, where it is legal, you would agree with it?

Love2Read72 PLATINUM, Kentfield, California

"Life isn’t about how to survive the storm, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.” — Taylor Swift

That sounded rude. Personally, I think that you should be able to express your opinion, but I also think that before you post an article you should check you facts first, because gay marriage is constitutional, and laws can't be made based on religion. Also, what our founding fathers think about any issue isn't relavant because the Constitution is a living document, so it can be amendended so that the law can change with society.

Ever heard of the Establishment Clause? Separation of Church and State.