Gay Marriage in the US | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage in the US MAG

As you may know, gay marriage is one of the most controversial subjects today. I happen to disagree with gay marriage and here's why. I've seen gay people, on TV and in real life, and I have no problem with them but I don't like the idea of them getting married. Take for example last year at Disneyland when there was a gay activist party. Guys were kissing and performing sexual acts in public, not even caring who saw them. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to things like that. This is a family theme park and to expose the public to their personal life is wrong.

Also, gay marriage is unconstitutional. America was built on the Constitution. I wonder what our founding fathers would say about gay marriage. Gay marriage is also against most religions and isn't same-sex marriage against God's plan? I also think that the towns that married gays should have the book thrown at them. Take Multnomah County, OR. They gave out something like 200 marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The law has not been changed yet so why does Multnomah marry them? It's just like saying "Well, the speed limit is 50 but I feel like going 90." It's no different, it's total anarchy and it's wrong.

I was taught by my parents to be a good person and obey the rules no matter if it was in my house or the world. Gay marriage is against the law and that is why I disagree with it.

Editor's Note: Though there has been talk of a Constitutional ban on gay marriage, it is not currently technically unconstitutional.

VeganFeminist_Writer, Mill Valley, California

"You're in a relationship because you need help, but that's not necessarily why you should be in a relationship. And that's skinny. It doesn't have weight. Skinny love doesn't have a chance because it's not nourished."

-Bon Iver

Many people in the comments are saying that they kindly respect your opinion. I don't. I won't respect someone's opinion when it is destructive and harmful to a group of innocent people. I'm sorry that the idea of gay people getting married makes you uncomfortable, but their right to marry who they love is more important than your discomfort. 

MichelleRose said...
MichelleRose, Pewamo, Michigan
I absolutely agree with you and I think that it is great that you are willing to stand up against gay marriage.  I noticed that many people disagreed with you and I wanted to tell you to not let that stop you from standing up for what you believe in.

your right gay or staright it dosent matter  

Triscuits BRONZE, Vinton, Virginia

"She may be tragically beautiful, but I'm beautifully tragic"

In America, there is a separation of church and state. Siting that gay marriage is "unconstitutional" because this country was founded on Christianity does not make any sense when taking that policy into consideration. Also, there is nothing wrong with gay people kissing in public, straight couples kiss in public all the time. I feel that it is simply a miscnception to some people that, if a person is gay, then they are therefore deviant and would do something such as commit "sexual acts" in public. A couple kissing or holding hands is not, to me, a sexual act. I feel that you need to look into this a bit more.

abandonedkid SILVER, Richmond, Virginia

"every guitar needs to be tuned" which means everyone needs help with something

I totally agree  

abandonedkid SILVER, Richmond, Virginia

I see your point.But, people should'nt be afraid to show who they are.My friend Kaitlyn is lesbian and the only reason why is she was almost killed by her last boyfriend. There are multiple reasons why People are gay and lesbian.They could've been born w/ it.Not to be rude but I think people like you should keep your nose and your opinons about other peoples sexual prefrences to yourself.

juliacoccaro SILVER, Spanish Fort, Alabama

"I'd sell you to Satan for one corn chip."

First of all, I would like to say that I'm very thankful that you were so respectful about your opinion. However, I kindly disagree with you. When you stated that you don't want families exposed to other people's personal lives when you were talking about the gay men kissing at Disneyland, it would be very biased unless you thought that of all PDA. If a heterosexual couple kisses, would you be alright with that?  Also, I would like to point out that I never think that religion should be a factor. The same religion does not apply to everyone, so in governmental decisions, I believe that religion should be out of the question. What you believe is fine, but that should not deem gay marriage law-worthy or not because not everybody is a Christian.  

ImmortalRose GOLD, Arvada, Colorado

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Khalil Gibran

I am Christain... however I support gay marriage

ImmortalRose GOLD, Arvada, Colorado

Khalil Gibran

I respect your opinion. However I disagree. Nothing in the constitution says anything against gay marriage. Instead is says "All men are created Equal" In other words, gays, blacks, whites, hispanics, Christain, muslims, Anyone deserves the same rights.  Also, whether you are gay or not... really has nothing to do with whether or not they perform sexual acts in public. It is simply a choice they make...  

BandGeekAndProud PLATINUM, Burlington, Massachusetts

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein

Is this satire?

LadyKraken BRONZE, Montpelier, Ohio
I'm going to stop you right here, Dan. I'm a closeted queer intersectional feminist dating a bisexual guy. Heck, I've got a son with that guy. And I am really, really tired of straight Christian men telling me that I can't marry a girl because one time they saw some dudes kiss and it made them feel icky. "Ew, boys kissing in public! There was a second long butt touch!" Unless they are actually doing the do in the middle of the street, I really don't want to hear it. Straight couples do that kind of stuff all the time and beleive you me I've seen my fair share of "sexual acts" in the food court of the mall. Is that the only example you have? Because it's a bad one. This country is not a theocracy, as much as it seems to be. Not everyone is Christian. I really don't give a hoot if you think your religion matters when talking about other people. It doesn't. Never will. Get over it. By the way, the verse you're probably citing says something like, "Thou shalt not lie with man as one does with a woman, it is an abomination" because, hate to break it to you, women were considered property and to treat a fellow man like that would be unheard of. Nobody said a thing about two girls smooching. Only treating men like women, who were sold and bought like they were bags of coffee. No thank you. You really should rethink your definition of "anarchy" because humans having fundamental rights to an archaic expression of love that has evolved greatly over the years since it was instituted is not it. Marriage gives people certain legal benefits and you are saying that these people aren't entitled to them because they don't exclusively like persons of the gender opposite the one they were assigned at birth. You're saying I'm not allowed to have these rights if I marry a woman. Stop wasting time thinking about LGTBQIAA+ folk (because there are orientations other than "likes guys" and "likes girls" and I fall under them) and if they can get married. Do something really Christian and help the homeless or volunteer at a shelter.

LadyKraken BRONZE, Montpelier, Ohio
They always do.

Julia.A. GOLD said...
Julia.A. GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
...So it should be illegal just because you don't like it?

shannon0316 said...
I feel that you make a more valid claim than the person writing this letter.  You obviously know more about what you're talking about.  Seriously, the person writing wrote completely informally (and here's why... come on!)  I feel that some research needs to be done, no piece that needs an editor's note correcting inaccurate information should be published!

Aramis_999 PLATINUM, Matthews, North Carolina

Be strong, believe in freedom and in God, love yourself, understand your sexuality, have a sense of humor, don’t judge people by their religion, color or sexual habits, love life and your family. -Madonna

I happen to to think v.aginas are disgusting. I think straight s.ex is an "abomination" to watch or even think about. And I'm not trying to ruin your rights.  And I'm not twisting what the costitution says either.  And the repeal of DOMA makes it legal.  And the founding fathers are from the 1700's, the view of the 1700's does not get to dictate my rights. 

jhruane said...
The founding fathers were deists.  They believed that God created the world and took his hands off right away.  The analogy of the clock maker makes sense here.  A clock maker will make his watch or clock or whatever he may, and when he is finished creating it, he watches as the hands slowly turn, second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour.  Deists like George Washington believed that God only created the world.  Many of the founding fathers believed in logic and reason.  Thomas Paine, the author of "Common Sense," which sparked the American Revolution, was an atheist.  I highly doubt that these men made any reference to religion or marriage in the constitution when they were creating it.     Going out in public places like a family fun park and committing sexual acts is wrong, no matter the gender.  This has nothing to do with your argument, however.  I see just as many heterosexual couples publicly engaging in one another as any other kind of couple.  So, according to your argument, because a couple may make out together in public, they shouldn't be allowed to marry.      

LoveLikeEpic GOLD, Boise, Idaho

"You got enemies? Good, that means you actually stood up for something in you life"-Eminem
How can i go forward if i dont know which way im facing?-John Lennon

Okay, so you don't like gay marriage you say. You make the point of religion. First of all, it is not unconstitutional, there is no refrence to marriage in the constitution. At all. Also, in the bible, it does say that gay marriage is an abomination, but it also says that you should not wear blended materials (i.e cotton/polyester blends), you should not associate yourself with women on their periods, sex before marriage is wrong, you should not eat pork. So next time you eat pork, or you're on your period, remind yourself that you're sinning an you're an abomination. In the mormon religion it was not aloud for a african american person to be a mormon until the 1960's. Now there are african american ministers and missionaries in the mormon church. If you don't know the bible, or anything about religion besides what you hear, don't bring it up. Especially if you don't back it up with other facts that religion is suppose to be against. If the mormon religion can allow african americans to become mormons, and I can eat pork dumplings at my church potluck, gays should be allowed to marry. To support RoseAndThorn in the below comments, there is a seperation of church and state. No one brings up religion in a political debate unless it's about gay marriage. This country was founded on the idea that people should be aloud to practice their own religion or not practice a religion at all. Religious freedom. That's why our ancestors traveled across the ocean. Also, those people at Disneyland doing those things in a family park were making a point, maybe doing in the wrong way, but still making a point. Before you wrote this, did you think about how much straight sexual content is on TV when you flip through the channels? Kids are exposed young by TV, the internet and everything inbetween. They were making the point that straight people can hold hands, kiss, in public and have sex on TV, but whenever people see two girls or two guys doing it, it's wrong. This article is the least factual letter to the editor I've ever seen. I think it was a poor decision on TeenInks part to publish this in their magazine. You have the right to your opinion, and people like me are going to have to deal with your opinion for years to come, but don't put us down if you don't have anything smart or factual to say. 

absolutelyapple BRONZE, Westfield, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
If this piece was intended to be serious, I would advise that the author cite sources when stating facts about such a controversial issue. Otherwise, I think it's a very poignant satire.

Kelly-In-Wonderland GOLD, Westfield, New Jersey
Thanks for writing this! I'm bisexual and Christian and support you no matter what your opinion is!

Actually, it sounds like you have a problem with Gays.