"Playing the Part" | Teen Ink

"Playing the Part"

By ThinKnoWrite GOLD, New York City, New York
ThinKnoWrite GOLD, New York City, New York

You laugh because you think it's a joke. I laugh because you think I'm joking. -Kevin Hart

"Playing the Part" by Johnathon McKenny certainly played its part in spooking me out. This spine-chilling story is told in second-person which is one of the reasons why it was so scary. This second-person perspective helps to put the reader into the scene and I feel that this was a good choice on McKenny's part. McKenny also does a great job on the pace; the slow pace builds suspense throughout the story and it really moves the plot forward.
The internal dialogue is really what makes this thriller special. Most times I feel like internal dialogue can be very distracting, but these thoughts add another aspect to the story The chilling trips inside the narrator's mind helps the reader to understand the story. The author also did a good job by leaving some stuff out. By not explaining the whole story with the red "X" and why the narrator shoots people, it left readers guessing, which added to the thrill of the story. Overall, the story was well written and will give me nightmares tonight!