Feedback on "Solitary Confinement" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Solitary Confinement"

By rairai123ify SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
rairai123ify SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Solitary Confinement" is a memoir written by Vivi Eggleston. She begins by describing how wonderful her birthday was during school. Then, she continues by explaining how her friends forgot her at the restaurant and left. As she rushed to catch up to them, each step brought back a different memory of her being abandoned by her friends. When she left the restaurant, she realized that she was a forgettable person and decided not to try and stand out anymore. In the end, she caught up with her friends as if nothing had happened with a boy questioning why she was so far behind.
               "Solitary Confinement" is a very beautifully written piece. I was able to feel exactly what she was feeling and imagine exactly what had happened because it is written so vividly. This made it very relatable and brought back memories for me as well. The lines that left a lasting impact on me were, "But I was suddenly so tired that I could feel every bone in my body growing heavy. The words rushed to the front of my mind: You should've known this would happen." These lines emphasized how lonely and disappointed she really was, which I liked because disappointment and loneliness is something I have experienced, making this piece seem even more real. All of these factors helped contribute to my appreciation of "Solitary Confinement".