Feedback on "Oceans" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Oceans"

December 4, 2014
By ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York
ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York
10 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss


The poem, "Oceans," by Sophia Boxerman, is a sincere piece of writing that stunningly displays the narrator's perspective on a nagging topic that he/she has been experiencing. Readers are subjected to the speaker's struggle to catch someone's attention. The accumulating emotions are beautifully portrayed through the writer's metaphorical language, as Sophia refers to the vast, unsanitary lunchroom as an ocean since its broad landscape causes the narrator to mentally break down. The author descriptively depicts one's futile endeavor to construct a close bond with someone else. The speaker constantly wishes to gain a girl's attention but it is all in vain.
        This poem can be related to my own life because the "oceans" mentioned in this piece of writing represent our daily hardships that we must endure. Personally, I sometimes feel a bit held back by conflicting emotions or contemplating thoughts. Those feelings act as my ocean barrier. When I recall certain events that occurred in my life, I realize the countless opportunities that I had missed because I didn't have the courage to knock down my obstacles. As the poem states, "And I couldn't sail across/So I kept/Silent." Sophia did a splendid job touching upon a person's brewing emotions and relaying them into a flawless masterpiece that it left me breathless and with a new realization intact.