Feedback on "The Bumblebee Necklace" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Bumblebee Necklace"

By kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York
kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York

"Remember, if people talk behind your back, it only means you are two steps ahead."

In “The Bumblebee Necklace” by Honor Ford, Ford’s story about her life-long charm has helped guide her through life. Born with a neurological disorder that came in various forms, life wasn’t easy for Ford. Ford struggled with disabilities that seemed to make life feel like it was worth nothing, until she was given a bee necklace. This memoir was truly deep in inspiration and high hopes, and by the end of it, I was close to tears. Ford described her necklace as no ordinary necklace; it was a symbol of hope and freedom for her. It reminded her that she could do things although she was disabled and that she was special and unique in her own way. This memoir was beyond heart-warming to read, and it too inspired me.

One of the things I loved most about Ford’s story is how much this necklace inspired her. Ford looked up to her necklace like a good luck charm; it was a symbol that she felt represented her. To me, it’s amazing how much one little thing can mean to someone; in Ford’s position, according to the memoir, “The bee has filled me with dreams and belief in myself. It has become a part of me.” This quote really touched me inside to think of how this necklace really changed Ford’s life. Also, as stated in the memoir, “It’s a reminder of the struggles I’ve gone through and how much I’ve overcome. Instead of defining myself by the frequent hospital visits and physical therapy sessions, over these past four years, life has become an endless possibility.” I found this quote quite impressive by how much motivation Ford had gathered from her bee necklace, and found it full with hope. “The Bumblebee Necklace” is a truly outstanding memoir that captures the essence and details of Ford’s struggled life and elaborating on her prized possession, her bee necklace.