Response to Pursue Your Passions | Teen Ink

Response to Pursue Your Passions

By MyaGrimes BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
MyaGrimes BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

In “Pursue Your Passions” by Abbie M., she talks about what she wants to do with her life and how others impact our decisions on our futures. In her story, she tells us how someone told her ‘You’re wasting your time on a career that will only lead to starvation,” and she also says that “Parents definitely have a right to be involved in their children’s lives, but sometimes their words create more stress than encouragement.” Abbie wants to be a writer because that’s what makes her happier than money ever could. Abbie explains that parents and money are a factor we use to pursue our careers. She had a conversation with a friend who switched majors, and his reasoning for switching was there was no money in being a photographer. When she asked if he was happy with his decision he said yes, but she could tell he wasn’t. I think we should go into careers that make us really happy, but also think about what will come out of it when we are done. Will you make enough to live and have a family? Or will you need multiple jobs to make a living? Even though Abbie decides to go through with being a journalist, we still need to think about how we will pay for things after college without a good paying job.