Why "13 Reasons Why" Fails | Teen Ink

Why "13 Reasons Why" Fails

By Jacqueline_G SILVER, Glendale, Arizona
Jacqueline_G SILVER, Glendale, Arizona

In the article “Why ‘13 Reasons Why’ Fails,” Ellis Donaghey was able to point out the obvious problem in the famous Netflix series that everyone else seems to miss. It lacked deep information about what people go through and I agree with him. The show portrayed a young girl who suffered with mental illness and committed suicide because she believed that she lacked support and she didn’t look for it. Donaghey pointed out how “13 Reasons Why” should have demonstrated that even it it looks like there isn’t anyone to talk to or that no one cares, there is (such as the suicide hotline). Instead of actually depicting a serious talk or demonstration of mental illness, it actually “...glorifies and encourages the act [of suicide as a resolution]. It belittles it as a mere ‘teenage drama.’” He was able to explain how the show encouraged self-harm and suicide instead of looking for help because it is “pointless.” I really appreciated how Ellis Donaghey was able to openly write how the show failed to demonstrate what teens go through today. This is a serious topic and it should not be covered with romance and drama to make it “better” because it takes away the main idea: understanding those with mental illness.