Don't Ask Don't Tell | Teen Ink

Don't Ask Don't Tell

By daplaya10 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
daplaya10 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

“Don’t Ask Don’t Tell”

October 22nd, 1992 was the day a savior was born. Two men were walking along a normal patrol in the middle of nowhere. All the sudden there was an ambush and one of the men’s legs were shot and was not able to evacuate. The other man was very capable of saving himself while leaving the other man stranded. The man stayed there all the way until the end and battled until help came. Because of his actions the second mad is to this day alive to be there for his children. The savior was gay.

I chose the article written about the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy involving all the military related schools. The article states all military schools are abandoning the “don’t ask don’t tell”. In other words: the schools will now start asking the sexual orientation of each applicant as if their answers will decide whether or not they will be allowed into the school.

There is not one person in their right mind that should be able to choose the outcome of an admission based on the sexuality of a man or woman. In every aspect, the applicants who are homosexual are just as qualified as the ones who are not. If they have the courage to be willing to go fight and die in another country they should be able to gain admission to a school no matter the sexual orientation.

This is a discrimination against the gays; there will be uproars from the gay community’s complaining to the army asking why it matters. They are going to go above and beyond to prove they are more than qualified to go to war against another country.

Without the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy, that man may have died the day of the ambush. Without the “don’t ask don’t tell”, those kids wouldn’t have a father there to raise them…would you want to take that away?