Mulan: Just Another Princess | Teen Ink

Mulan: Just Another Princess MAG

By Sobriquet BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Sobriquet BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois

“Mulan,” the animated Disney movie based on the ancient Chinese legend of Hua Mulan, is just another racist, sexist product of this giant corporation. As a child, Mulan was my all-time favorite movie – finally a ­Disney title character who wasn't blond-haired and blue-eyed! I could identify with Mulan because she looked like me. Although I am Korean rather than Chinese, I felt represented in this movie. As a five-year-old, I loved that Mulan wasn't waiting in a tower for her prince to save her.
I reveled in the fact that her life goal wasn't to go to some medieval version
of the prom and wear glass slippers.

Recently, I watched the movie again with the knowledge I have today. Lo and behold, I was disappointed in both the movie and myself for ever believing it was feminist or politically correct. Sure, the graphics are great. The setting is made with Disney's trademark precision and beauty. But even so, I was ­appalled.

Don't get me wrong, “Mulan” is a giant step forward in terms of feminism and racial equality … for Disney, that is. For the rest of the world? Not so much.

First of all, every character has a similar appearance: slanted eyes, short limbs, and a flat nose. The only factors that differentiate them are gender and hair style. Also, China's arch-nemesis, Shan-Yu, and the rest of his Hun buddies have faces that are rather more … ethnic. They have eyes you can barely see, gray skin, and a sickly appearance. They are either hulkingly huge or way too skinny. The appearance of all these characters, in my opinion, perpetuates Western stereotypes of Asians. According to Disney, all Asians look the same. In addition, if an Asian character is evil, he will simply look even more Asian.

Aside from the mild racism in “Mulan,” there is also a bit of sexism mixed in. “Mulan” has been hailed as a feminist Disney movie because it showcases a young woman who leads China to victory using her quick wit, pride, and a strong sense of family honor – all while masquerading as a man named Ping. Even though Mulan (as Ping) gains the respect of the army commander and her comrades, once they discover that she is a woman, her army commander and potential love-interest, Shang, loses respect for her and even hates her.

“Ping” had been doing an even better job than Shang, but when Shang finds out Ping is a woman, his stupid male ego breaks on impact. Mulan is sentenced to death, and Shang, the macho man of the film, ultimately gets to decide her fate. The only reason she survives is because Shang decides he'd rather just send her home. Wow. To add insult to ­injury, at the end of the film, Shang fixes up his shattered ego by claiming Mulan as a suitor.

Even as Mulan is being praised and cheered in the Forbidden City after she almost single-handedly saves China (this time, as a woman), at the end of the film, the audience is reminded that Mulan is really just another woman looking for a man. Mulan's real victory isn't saving her country from invasion. No, it's marrying Shang.

The fact that this is a movie I grew up idolizing makes me sad. All in all, “Mulan” perpetuates Western stereotypes of Asian culture and very quietly shows that even a successful woman will need a man at the end of the day. This movie is, admittedly, much better in terms of gender equality and world cultures than previous Disney movies, but that doesn't change its subtle messages. As a proud Asian girl, I'd like to inform Disney that my family's honor does not come from marriage, but from our achievements.

I originally wrote this for my journalistic writing class for our movie review unit, but I decided to submit it here, instead.

WritingAngel20 BRONZE, Ardmore, Alabama

"In order to suceed, your desire for success must be greater than your fear of failure" -Bill Cosby

Okay, I see your point but I disagree some, it is a good movie and it is one of the better Disney movies (second to Lilo and Stitch in my opinion) and that's how it was it china and looking for a man isn't a bad thing, a woman can still be independent even if she is in a relationship or married.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Honestly I think you're wrong. Mulan was about being whoever you wanted to be despite your gender. And the whole stereotypical Asian is because with cartoons you have to overdramatize to show what something is. If they just drew them with light skin and black hair, you wouldn't be able to distinguish them from everyone else. They had to add distinguishing characteristics to tell audiences "Mulan is Chinese" without actually telling them that.

moodygirl said...
I think the reviewer missed the point. It was made in the way back when girls were considered property and nothing more than child-bearers. The fact that Mulan broke out of this mode was fantastic. Good for her, exspecially considering she could have been put to death for daring to do so!