I Am A Satanist (And No, I'm Not Sorry) | Teen Ink

I Am A Satanist (And No, I'm Not Sorry)

February 28, 2011
By G.J.Dillon GOLD, Henderson, Nevada
G.J.Dillon GOLD, Henderson, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Buy the ticket, take the Ride"-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson


Whenever I meet a new person, I usually get to know them better through a series on casual questions. “Where are you from?” “What kind of music do you like?” “Any favorite authors?” If the conversation gets deep enough, ideology is brought into the subject. When the question of religion comes up, their answer is usually relatively short and doesn’t require much explanation. Then they ask me the same question. I used to hesitate, give them an indirect answer or even lie and say I was an atheist or an agnostic. However nowadays I feel no qualms about answering them honestly: “I am a Satanist”

Of course as you can imagine this usually elicits a surprised response, which more often then not lead to a discussion of what I believe and why. Satanism is not devil worship, it isn’t a bunch of angst-ridden teenagers in black robes sacrificing cats and listening to heavy metal trying to use shock value to get attention from their parents, as Hollywood would have you believe. Satanism is merely the worship of your self; the devil is just used as a metaphor for carnal desires and rebellion. In fact, “Satan” is actually the Hebrew word for adversary. I don’t believe in a physical devil with horns and a goatee, nor a God, nor a heaven, nor a Hell. But what I do believe in is myself.

Satanism teaches that you are the ultimate decider of your fate based upon the decisions you make in the present. It teaches that time spent praying for fortune could be put to use working towards that fortune. Satanism also teaches that life is a beautiful gift, and that you should value life and live it to the fullest, just so long as you don’t impede another persons right to live their life how they see fit. In short, Satanism taught me independence, hard work, and peace.

Most people I meet have no problem with my religion, and in truth I don’t encounter prejudice towards my lifestyle very often, Of course there are always those who don’t understand it, those who disagree with it and even people who are downright hostile towards it. While it’s a shame that some people can’t accept the fact that I’m a Satanist, that’s their opinion, and they are as entitled to it as I am mine.

The most frustrating reaction I get, which usually comes from older individuals, is that I’m “just going through a phase” and that I’ll “grow out of it eventually”. Well, I’ve held my beliefs for 4 years, and every day I find more strength in the wisdom I’ve found with it. I am a Satanist, unapologetic and proud. It inspires me to be tolerant of other peoples lifestyles, dedicated to my dreams and happy with who I am.

Perhaps one day people will recognize Satanism as a legitimate philosophy and not just a basis for horror flicks, perhaps not, but what’s important is that regardless of the general populations impressions of Satanism, when I meet a new person, I’m not afraid to honestly answer the question “So what do you believe in?”

The author's comments:
I was always taught never to be ashamed of who I am, even if it made other people uncomfortable. Taboo is just basement bargain censorship anyway.