Stereotypes | Teen Ink

Stereotypes

By 1337Writer BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1337Writer BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

PIE FLAVOR! -asdf movie

The poplars and the nerds, two completely different groups of people right? If you think that you are wrong. We are alike in every way except for our likes. Then why all these stereotypes on each other? In my opinion stereotypes are a way of showing power over a group.

First off, why is a group called the poplars. Obviously the group that is the most popular is them. It seems very demeaning to all other groups. Second, as a nerd myself I can tell you that we do have a life, in fact we hang out with friends, listen to music, and have trouble with school like anyone else. We also don’t have that stupid voice, we don’t dress in business clothes, and the majority of us do not have glasses. Third, do not judge a wise man by the color of their skin, not all nerds are white. Lastly, if the student government goes by their model of being fair to all, why don’t they stand against stereotypes and host an event that a minority wants.

I know this sounds hypocritical as nerds do stereotype the popular. Yet I give an effort to not give stereotypes. I hope that everyone follows my example and balances the power between all

1337Writer BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

PIE FLAVOR! -asdf movie

Unforturnatly not at my school. I'm pretty sure some people at your school have made it a goal to sterotype others. Even us, who believe we never do this, have pasiviely sterotyped others.

Morgan Cannon BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
I'm part of the "popular" group and I can tell you first hand you are over generalizing. If you don't want to be segregated, stop segregating yourself. A lot of "Nerds" set out against "popular people" or "preps" with such hate. We both don't know each other, and no matter who you hang out with or what you wear, you're a person. And I can tell you "popular" people understand that. So this overgeneralization about nerds being exiled and popular people being idolized, mostly happens on tv.

1337Writer BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

PIE FLAVOR! -asdf movie

Sorry for miscommucation. I was saying that you may see others sterotyping you but you also got to see that you are sterotyping others in order to solve this problem. I did sterotype others but now I try not to. I wasn't trying to criticize I was just saying maybe to take a step forward againist this problem.

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

Um, okay... I just agreed with you and I think you're criticizing me for agreeing with you. And I don't stereotype myself - as you can see I called myself normal. Other people stereotype me, and others in my school.

Kimberlee BRONZE, Bowman, Georgia

Never ruin an apology with an excuse.
~Kimberly Johnson

I feel you there. I'm contantly stereotyped as the bad kid. I feel like I'm no different from anyone else.

1337Writer BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

PIE FLAVOR! -asdf movie

I never saw (or read) those. I noticed first that others were sterotyping me though before I noticed that I did it myself.

Huh. I never really thought about this. I mean, I saw Mean Girls, and I read the Clique books, but I always thought that that wasn't my school. And now, stepping back and looking at my school, we are so typical! Jocks, cheerleaders, preppies, nerds/geeks, wanna-bes, and normal kids like me! Thanks for reminding me that even though we think it could never happen to us, it really could.

GodsDaughter said...
GodsDaughter, Meadow Lake, Other

" Whatever the problem, whaterver happens hang on and you'll get through"
-SecretlyWishIWasAVampire-

I agree with you, I hate when I'm steryotyped as a nerd too....