Gay of Silence | Teen Ink

Gay of Silence

July 16, 2008
By Anonymous

I participated in the national Day of Silence for gay rights this year, and I realized that people's ignorance will never cease to amaze me. With a piece of paper taped to my shirt explaining the cause, I remained completely silent the entire day, listening and taking in other student's jokes and ridicule. My peers were yelling across the classroom at each other about how all gay people should be shipped off to a deserted island. Even some of the teachers were making jokes and being mean to students who were participating.
I find this ridiculous. You're entitled to your opinion, but so am I. Taking a vow of silence for one day is not hurting anyone, however harassing someone while they can't even defend themselves is.
To all of the straight people who do not support homo/bisexuality, please try and see it from another point of view. Imagine that being straight was not accepted, that you got mercilessly made fun of, or even beaten or killed for being attracted to someone, or being in love. Imagine that you lived in a country where you couldn't legally marry someone you wanted to spend the rest of your life with. Imagine you always dreamed of having a family, but people were fighting to make it impossible for you to adopt a baby.
For some people, this is reality.