I Want a Book with a Black Protagonist | Teen Ink

I Want a Book with a Black Protagonist

By N.D.Ink GOLD, Dallas, Texas
N.D.Ink GOLD, Dallas, Texas

I like to read stories, good stories, mostly ones like Harry Potter. I don't like vampires much or werewolves even, in fact i think they've gotten a bit boring now.

One thing I truly enjoy is reading a book where the protagonist is black, like me, and there are but they involve people of color going through struggles of living in a poor neighborhood or something crazy.

Because there were no real good books that I could relate to in a way with a black protagonist, i stopped reading and writing for a while. I enjoy writing, I may not be the best but i try. When i first started to write I was writing about white protagonist since I had no real examples of a black protagonist.

I remember in my second year of high school I decided to read a book by L. Divine because I saw one of the book covers that caught my eye. In truth I didn't think the Drama High Series was worth reading because the covers gave me the idea that it was another book about a young black female character going through the struggles of life. I picked up the by L. Divine, Street Soldiers: Drama High. The cover is what made give the book a chance. The book was more than what i thought it was, there was drama involved but once there was talk about the protagonist with supernatural abilities, I became more interested in the book.

In some way, L. Divine was a bit of inspiration to me. I enjoyed the story and the plot. I liked the main character, it was interesting and it made me want to write something like L. Divine wrote.

I thought if i ever got a book published, they wouldn't like it cause no one was going to read about a black protagonist in a Harry Potter scenario. Eventually, I tossed away the negativity and started working on my own series. I wrote about something i enjoyed, something i liked or something i wanted to see written.

Of course I am not the best writer but i try, i read tips and advice on how to improve on blog sites and Wattpad, a place for writer of all kinds. My best friend is an artist, i think he'd make a great comic book artist. I found his work on Deviantart, i liked the way he drew and the fact he could draw in anime styles and was a black guy that could do this very well. I like his artwork a lot. Over the years his style of art changed, it improved and that was something I wanted to do and that was improve my writing in a way.

But i don't think people will read it. I tend to always write where people of color, asian, black, indian, are at the center in a way. Supernatural powers or abilities or something based off culture.

The Black Panther, a superhero by Marvel, is probably my favorite superhero. A black man with a kingdom in Africa, they could have created a character from Africa that was raised in poor conditions or put on the boat to be a slave and they didn't do that. It was a superhero that was king to his land, advanced in technology, strong to boot and was married to Storm at one point before they broke the couple up. I enjoyed that, a legitimate black couple together.

A lot of stories I've read is always an interracial couple as if two black people can't get along. I grew up in a household where my parents were at each others throats and it would almost make me sad because I never got to see a good relationship between two black people, it was written off as if it could never be real. My dad raised me, his only daughter but second child, when my mother was no where around. Yet there are stories were the black man can't even take care of his kids and that's not true. The mother in the relationship is not always the hero sometimes dad has to be hero when mom is messing up.

I try to avoid certain things when I write because... i don't think it's real. Vampires are not drop dead glorious and werewolves aren't sexy either. I don't think it's cute when a vampire or werewolf are trading their lives away for a single girl who doesn't even have her feelings in order. I don't think it's romantic when your stalking a girl you hardly even know.

There are stories that glorify the negative things in a relationship and that's not real. Rape is not a plot and it's not romantic, your boyfriend being clingy and abusive is not cute and being kidnapped should not be a thing you want happening to you from a bunch of boys in a band.

These stories I avoid, because they are unreal and frankly taking something negative into something that is a power or to fuel the romance is something I don't want to read.

I want diversity in books and creativity in them. All the books I know have a white protagonist, there are books and stories where the character is clearly pointed out to be a person of color and the next thing you see there is a movie coming out where a white actress is the lead role of a dark skin character. For example, Avatar The Last Airbender. The nations are based on cultures and lands of China, Japan and Natives even.

I have and probably never will read The Hunger Games. When I saw an article about how some of the fans were not happy they made a particular character in the book black I refused to read it.

It's sad that the world isn't ready to put someone of different color on a page. Because I would love to read a story about a black kid becoming a wizard too.

I small rant about things I've learned after graduating high school.