A Dream Come True | Teen Ink

A Dream Come True

By Carly Muller BRONZE, Macungie, Pennsylvania
Carly Muller BRONZE, Macungie, Pennsylvania

'Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!' The powerful words of an old spiritual hymn tell it all: we are free at last. Free from the discriminations and prejudices of the past. Free from segregation. Free from all that keeps us standing apart. Free to become one nation, one people, one America.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. made his memorable 'I have a dream'' speech in August of 1963. Racism controlled the United States at that time. Caucasians and African-Americans were treated anything but equally. That's the way it had always been. That's the way many believed it always should be. No one realized it then, but change was coming.

Today, Barak Obama has taken office as the President of the United States. He campaigned as an American and won as an American. No more or less. However, his inauguration was like no other before. Race knows no boundaries any longer. Now, over 100 years after the Emaciation Proclamation was signed, declaring that all men are created equal, Dr. King's dream has finally been achieved.

In his own words, 'We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline'' So many people have suffered for the better of our country. So many people have laid down their lives to make this world a better place. Even Dr. King himself paid the ultimate price for doing what was right.
Justice has finally been served. It is the present day that we are called to put aside our differences and work together as one. No matter what our religion, or skin color, or ethnicity, each of us is an American alike. Although the task at hand may seem impossible at times, we will persevere. For it is as Martin Luther King Jr. said ,
'We cannot walk alone'We cannot turn back.'

TangledThoughts BRONZE, Upland, California
I found your writing ok, I'm not sure is exceptional would cover it though, overall I am sorry to say I find it slightly overdone, though some lines were intrestingthe writing only proved as,well,ok.

Also I was just wondering on the previous comments they seem robotic, as if you yourself were the one to place them.

Carly's writing is mature and thoughtful she will make and exceptional author

Carly is wise beyond her years and brings a powerful perspective in her writing. Keep it up Carly. You were meant to write!

Leslie said...
Carly's writing is clear and succinct. I appreciate her reminder that while this particular election garnered a huge amount of attention due to the race issue, the real importance of Barack Obama is as she wrote: "He campaigned as an American and won as an American. No more or less." Beautiful and inspiring to all of us.

ZigZag said...
Carly is an exceptional writer and has the ability to make her reader feel her emotional stand and knowledge. Carly's article is number one.

Carly4u said...
Carly's article exemplifies the path our nation has overcome based on the past sacrifices of others and the current historic events fulfilling a dream not forgotton. I hereby vote for Carly's ability to convey such a strong message of hope and fulfillment.