Writer's Strike | Teen Ink

Writer's Strike

If you read a newspaper or watch CNN then you would realize that there has been a writer’s strike in California since November 5, 2007.

More than 12,000 writers are involved. The Writer’s Guild of America would like to negotiate by giving the writers two and a half percent of the of distributor's gross profit for new-media sales and distribution.

A wide variety of popular shows have been affected by this tragedy. Such shows include Grey’s Anatomy, Family Guy, The Simpsons, The Office, Ugly Betty, Late Night with Conan O’Brien and atleast 31 other shows.

Many students are distraught with this strike and would like it to end in the near future.

“[I would] keep striking, but make private deals [with the bosses],” senior Chris Flad said.

“I would picket with the other writers,” junior Allison Best said.

Atleast 51 students were surveyed during lunch periods on this subject. They think that the strike will last atleast a couple more months or they are unsure at this time.

“For more information and to stay up to date, go to unitedhollywood.com, and check out the live radio show at 3pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The link to it is on the unitedhollywood.com website,” Best said.

Not every student at Victor Senior High watches shows affected by strike. These shows include Degrassi, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill and America’s Next Top Model. Such shows were either written ahead of the scheduled season or are just showing reruns.

The majority of students however, would do something to take care of the strike if they were the bosses of these writers.

Junior Kelsey MacNaughton said, “I would give the writers more money.”

“[I would] give them bigger contracts. They are losing more than if they pay up,” sophomore Anthony Irish said.