True Beauty | Teen Ink

True Beauty

By KylieNicole GOLD, Bakersfield, California
KylieNicole GOLD, Bakersfield, California
13 articles 1 photo 1 comment

\"Wake up and smell the rain before it sweeps you away, away from all of your dreams building up, away from your beautiful life. Hurry up and enjoy the great drops of shimmer you spread on the world.\" -Me

wWho really knows who they really are?
Arent't we all on a path to finding who our inner selves?
Why do we all put too much worrying and devotion on how we look on the outside rather than the inside.
We start to lose ourselves and some can never retrieve what has been lost.
Some cannot be retrieved because they actually die from wasting their time in looking on the outside.
Half of the teen nation struggles with an eating disorder because we think we need to "fit in".
When did we even start to have this mind set?
When the kids at school question how you did your hair one day, or why you decided to wear a certain shirt, or even, how you decide to talk.
We deal with critisism every second of the day. It makes us lose your sense of direction.

Remember the feeling of knowing everything is fine and how you could look at someone without thinking bad thoughts? It probably was only early years of our lives. Most likely before 4th grade. I miss that feeling. I know everyone else does too. It was our pure innocence. A time where we were untouched by the world, a virgin peace that knows no fear just as easily as it knows no corruption.
I know every day is a battle with myself and God, on what i want to do or say against what he wants me to do or say.

You look in the mirror almost every day and say who would want to love me?

Or you don't even see the beauty stairing back at you, you just see a big vast of nothing.
Many think this and fall into things they shouldn't be doing to themselves.
I know, because i am one of them.
I worried and still to this day worry about how my body looks.
Or if any one really thinks if i am pretty or skinny or pretty much anything. The other day a friend told me "Beauty is a matter of opinion. Perspective rules this, your religion race, and heritage will have a large effect". It seems kind of stupid to me now but i understand why it would be said, because that is how we all think! We criticize over race, religion, heritage, job, living style, and even what car we drive. By materialistic things, things that when it comes down to it, don't even truly matter.

We all care too much of how others see us and how we will look if we screw up or do something out of the ordinary.
Except God loves it when we do stuff out of the ordinary.

It shows him we are going back to ourselves and being individualists who aren't trying to fit into a world who is telling us lies, making us hate and kill eachother, and judge one another with just one look. One look which can send someone into a deep depression because it makes them feel like they don't belong or deserve to live.
My school peers and i sat in an assembly the other day and listened to a man talk to us about teenage bullying and how it is dangerous and showed us some footage. It was pretty intense and heartbreaking. If only people could show compassion to every person we meet each day instead of just crapping on everything, making the other feel like dirt.

We all think the same thoughts, the ones about not belonging or not being listened to, or even ones of "who cares".
Yet why do we act like we are all from different sections of the world?