Steps of Christianity | Teen Ink

Steps of Christianity

June 2, 2011
By Jacob.D.Poettker GOLD, Waterloo, Illinois
Jacob.D.Poettker GOLD, Waterloo, Illinois
16 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The Bible will keep you from sin. Sin will keep you from the Bible." D.L. Moody
"Of these three remain: faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these, is love." 1st Corrinthians 13:13


There is a certain reason you are reading this. It did not happen by chance. You have stumbled onto this, not because of a coincidence, but God has led you to this. Maybe you don’t believe in Him. Maybe you know of Him and don’t know what to do. Well, here is what you need to do. Your life depends on it. If you don’t follow God, He will send you to eternal torture away from Him. To give you an example of eternity, imagine a bird traveling back and forth in between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. This bird is taking a beak full of water from the Atlantic and pouring into the Pacific. Once they bird has emptied the Atlantic of water and filled the Pacific, that will be a fraction of eternity. Do you really want to risk where you’re going, torture or paradise? Here’s step one.

Step One:
“For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” –Romans 3:23

Step one is realizing that you are a sinner. If you don’t, then you will never continue, for you will see yourself as perfect. And I am not writing this because I am perfect and I’m telling you because I’m better than you. No, I am no better than anyone else. I have committed each Commandment as well, but there is a difference. Non-Christians are a slave to Sin and sometimes do well, and Christians are willingly slaved to God and sometimes Sin.

“For the wages of sin is Death, but the gift of God is Eternal Life.” –Romans 6:23

To prove that you are a sinner, let’s look at the Ten Commandments:

The First Commandment is not to make or have another idol but God. Everybody commits this. If God wants you to do something and you hesitate because you would have to give up something else, and that “something else” has become your idol, and that is a sin.
The Second Commandment is not to make any alters or golden idols and worship them, this too, is a sin.

”You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.” –Exodus 20:4-6

Don’t worship other idols or golden alters, this is a sin. You can’t be Atheist, Buddhist, Judaist, Muslim, or any other religion. That too, is a sin.
The Third Commandment is not to lose the Lord’s name in vain. There are many ways to say His name in vain; “Oh my God,” “God D****t,” “I swear to God it’s true,” “Oh, God,” and many more. Saying these things is a sin.
The Third Commandment is to honor the Sabbath.

“You mush observe the Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am Lord, who makes you holy. Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you.” –Exodus 31:13-14

Not honoring the Sabbath is a sin. And God wants nothing to do with a sin.
The Fifth Commandment is not to murder.

Who so sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.” Genesis 9:6.

God does not want people to be murdered. God created each person like him and we are all his creation. No human will ever be given power enough to be able to kill another human without being killed himself.
“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘do not murder and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment’. But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.” –Mathew 5:21-22

God obviously does not want you to hate either, for it is just murder in the mind. And that is a sin.
The Seventh Commandment is to not commit adultery. Adultery is lusting after, or having a sexual relationship outside or before marriage.

“It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body.” –Thessalonians 4:3-4

Guys, when you “check out” a girl; girls, when you’re “checking out” a guy that is a sin.
The Eighth Commandment is not to steal.

“Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them.” –Psalms 62:10

God obviously does not want you stealing, no matter what it is, for there is no sin worse than another in God’s eyes. All sins weigh the same.
The Ninth Commandment is not to give false testimonies.

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.” –Mathew 7:15

Giving a false testimony is telling someone that God does not exist. This is a sin. If you ever doubt God’s existence, that is a sin.
.
The Tenth Commandment is not to covet someone else. Basically, don’t be jealous. If you ever desire something somebody else has, that is a sin. God put everything in your life for a purpose, even though we don’t know why.

Everyone is a sinner, and if you can’t accept that, then you cannot proceed to Step Two.

“For the wages of Sin is Death, but the Gift of God is Eternal Life,” –Romans 6:23

Step Two:

Step two is accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. Do not get this confused with baptism. For this stage, you need to accept God and believe in him with all of your heart. If you don’t, God will call you.

“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. Anyone who hears My voice and opens the door will let Me in and eat with Me and I with him.” –Revelations 3:20

God will call you. And you will feel all sorts of things. Two examples are overwhelming joy and uncontrollable sadness. These feelings are God’s messages to you, the messages could have many meanings.
Step Two is accepting Jesus Christ with all your heart. Do this, and you’re ready for Step Three.

“Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” –Romans 10:9

Step Three

Even though you have chosen to believe in Jesus Christ and God, that is not it. The next step is Jesus’ first command to you; baptism.

Baptism is a metaphorical ritual of your rebirth. Going under the water is you dying to yourself, like

“And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”

Coming out of the water is being born again into God’s family. You become a Child of God! God will put you above the angels! You will be able to judge the angels because God loves you more than them.
Once you do this you are ready for the final step

“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” -Mathew 28:19




Step Four:

The last step is to live your life for Christ, not yourself. Take up your cross everyday and die to yourself, giving your body and soul the God Almighty, like Luke 9:23 states,

“And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”

I am NOT saying that once you get baptized, you have to live a perfect life or you’ll go back to square one. There is one difference between a Christian and a Non-Christian, like I said before. The Non-Christian is a slave to sin and seldom does righteous. The Christian willingly slaves him or herself to God and seldom sins.

If you follow these steps, I can promise you a blessed life along with troubles and hardships. But I can promise you, when the people who slandered you for being a Christian and they go to Hell, and you’re in Heaven, you’ll find out that it was worth the wait and pain.

“And this is the testimony; God has given us eternal life, and this life in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son or God does not have life.” -1st John 5:11-12

If you do not accept Christ you might have fun for your short, human life, but you will dearly suffer in the Lake of Fire.

“But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” –Revelations 21:8

On the other side, you have eternal paradise.

“He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” -Revelation 21:4
God will take all of the pain away. And, comparing Heaven to Hell, do you really want to risk it? Follow these four steps and guarantee a life of paradise.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whoever shall believe in Him shall not parish, but have Eternal Life.” –John 3:16

The author's comments:
“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whoever shall believe in Him shall not parish, but have Eternal Life.” –John 3:16