Twelve Days In Paradise | Teen Ink

Twelve Days In Paradise

Some people might think that a yearly visit to their relatives is boring. I disagree. Fort Lauderdale has the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and I get to be there every year when I go to visit my grandma. As soon as I get off the airplane even before I go to the beach, I feel the warm sun on my pale face. I notice the gigantic trees, which seem to tower over everything. Even though I can’t wait to go to the bed, by the time I finish hugging my grandma, filling her in on what’s been going on in my life, eating the food she always has ready for me, and unpacking I am thoroughly exhausted for bed. I set my alarm clock to make sure I get up early enough to get to the beach when it’s quiet before the crowds come. The sound of the repetition of the waves crashing onto the beach is as calming as a relaxing lullaby sung by my mom, I am soon asleep.
The next morning the sounds of the beach continue as I am awakened by the sound of seagulls. I quickly jump out of bed, get dressed and quietly leave the house. As soon as I get on to the beach, I feel the smooth, fine sand between my toes. Because it’s early in the morning, the sand feels cool on the bottom of my feet. I look around and all I can see is the endless, white beach. I just can’t wait any longer, and I run into the ocean. Immediately, I am hit by an enormous wave. I love the feeling of the cold, salty water as it covers my face. When the next wave comes, I am ready. I ride the wave and get carried further out in the see. After I come out of the ocean, I start to walk back to my grandma’s house. I can’t help noticing the colorful shells and rocks shimmering in the sunlight.

I can’t believe how lucky I am to have eleven more mornings to enjoy the beach and then be able to return year after year.