What Matters | Teen Ink

What Matters

There are a lot of things in life that a person can be judged on, but there are a few things that really matter on how you should judge a person by. Those three things are integrity, honesty, and character.
I personally think that the most important thing that parents need to teach there kids is to have integrity. To have integrity means to be the same person when someone is not watching you. My dad has always told me to be a man of integrity and always do what I know is right even when no one is watching me. That is very important because if you want people to like you and trust you then you need to have integrity. Saying that leads me to my next point of what matters in life and that is honesty.
An honest person never has to worry about hiding anything because there is nothing to hide. You will get a lot further in life if you have an honest person and always tell the truth. Sometimes you may get in trouble for telling the truth but by doing that you will face the punishment and then it will be over but if you are not honest about what ever it is up front then eventually the truth will come out and you will be in a lot worse of trouble that if you had just told the truth. If you don’t tell the truth about something you get an awful feeling deep down inside you and if you don’t know the feeling I’m talking about then you are lying so the best way to avoid that feeling is to just be truthful always.
By being honest and having integrity you are building your character. I think that is a very important thing to have in life and that is a direct correspondent of honesty and integrity. There are a lot of things in like that will not go our way but we need to persevere because by sticking things out when you are down just shows how badly you want something and by that you are building character.
Character, honesty, and integrity should be the foundation of every person because they all go hand in hand with each other and not only that but they will make you feel good about yourself and you will never have to have a terrible feeling in your stomach if you tell the truth and by having character you are only opening doors up for yourself in the future. “Personality can open up doors but only character can keep them open.” That is a great quote to try and live by each day.