Our Messed Up Society | Teen Ink

Our Messed Up Society

By ChristianCapers PLATINUM, Dublin, Ohio
ChristianCapers PLATINUM, Dublin, Ohio

I don't get embarrassed, I embarrass.

What happens when prejudiced views are thrust into the hands of authority figures who are supposed to protect us? You get a completely messed up society like the one in which we live. Now, I will try my hardest not to rag on the police because even though a lot of them have ignorance written on their forehead, there are exceptions to every rule. There are those who would lay down their lives for the good of the people. However, why is it that more often than not, it is black males that get targeted for crimes such as shoplifting when they didn’t even do anything wrong? They are so often seen as threats to society for no reason.

The very fact that the police and lots of zebra (animals that stand around and watch their fellow animals being attacked) people don’t know what these African American males are up to is probable cause for fear, panic and hatred, right? Wrong!

I thought you had to be intelligent to be a policeman…? My grandfather certainly was, but now he’s gone and the force is overrun with trigger-happy lunatics. It seems as though young and old black males don’t get the benefit of the doubt as many other people do.

Just take Darrien Hunt, Vonderrit Myers, Jordan Davis, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin and countless others for example.A lot of the time, the police are so ignorant that in the process of arresting these black males for no reason, they end up taking the poor innocent victim’s life. I see it as a tragedy—they see it as one more trouble-causing boy off the street.

Because of foolish made-up fears, the police may think they are doing us zebras a service by eradicating these human beings. I, however, feel distrustful because sometimes, law enforcement is filled with nothing but bias.

A lot of the time, racism and the law enforcement goes unpunished, unnoticed and untalked about because authority figures are always right, right? WRONG! I felt the need to bring light to this subject and hopefully everyone who reads this article will feel as passionate as I do.