President Obama's First 100 Days | Teen Ink

President Obama's First 100 Days

May 11, 2009
By JenRubino GOLD, Park Ridge, Illinois
JenRubino GOLD, Park Ridge, Illinois
13 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Like is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"


May 6, 2009, marked the 100th day that President Obama has been in office. For many Americans, the last 100 days have had a new feeling in America. A feeling of hope and Change. Hope that we are finally on the right track as a country, and change from previous Presidents. Here are some of the many things that President Obama has done over the last 100 days.

Making good on his Campaign promise of Change, on January 22, President Obama signed an order to shut down Guantanamo Bay. The order also ended all use of torture. On January 29, he signed the Lilly Ledbetter Pay Act, to try to create equal pay for everyone.

President Obama also started really trying to get every American involved in remaking this nation. He started calling on National service by each American, and started trying to take his message to the American people though his weekly addresses. Which for the first time, where even posted on Youtube.

One of the biggest problems President Obama faced when he took office was the economic crisis. On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed his Economic Stimulus Package. The President tried to reassure Americans that over time the Stimulus Package would help fix the economic crisis. Towards the end of his first 100 days, Americans saw small glimmers of hope that the Economic Crisis was coming to an end. On April 14, President Obama gave a speech on the state of the economy, and said that there was a light at the end of the tunnel that we would recover from this crisis.

On February 18, 2009, President Obama ordered 17,000 more troops to Afghanistan. During an interview with 60 Minutes; President Obama said deciding to send more troops was the hardest decision he’s had to make so far in his Presidency. On February 27, the President ordered that all combat missions in Iraq would end within 18 months.

When the President took his first overseas trip, it was a lot different than any recent President. He and First Lady Michelle Obama drew huge crowds everywhere they went, and the world watched their every move. People hadn’t seen anything like it since the Kennedy’s. They also gave different gifts than previous Presidents. They gave the Queen of England an Ipod and the First lady of France a guitar.

Within the last 100 days, Americans have also gotten to see a side of the President that they hadn’t really gotten to see in recent Presidents, they got to see that he is a normal person too. Many people liked being able to see pictures of him and his family doing normal things. Americans also liked getting to watch the President and his family find their new dog.

Within the past 100 days, The White House has been a much different place than in recent history. Whether it was the bills he signed, his overseas trip or the new White house dog. There is clearly something different happening in Washington. People seem to think that the President is doing a good job too. A recent poll shows that 2 out of 3 Americans believe that the President is doing a good job and taking the country in the right direction.

The author's comments:
I hope that After reading this article that people will have a better idea on President Obama's first 100 days. After that then they can form their own opinions on him.