Life in an English Class | Teen Ink

Life in an English Class

By Shaunyboy94 GOLD, Novato, California
Shaunyboy94 GOLD, Novato, California

"Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."--Carl Sandburg

"If you can laugh at yourself loud and hard every time you fall, people will think you're drunk."--Conan O' Brien

Click, snap, click, snap. Chairs moving, pencils bouncing, and binders snapping. Wait; is that the smell of perfume or Juicy Fruit Bubble gum? Are those pictures of bubble gum, Europe, former students, and the running of the bulls? Where am I? Is this Honors English or a fun house? Where are the “Believe in yourself,” or “Never cheat” posters like in math rooms? What’s with all of the animal drawings? I didn’t sign up for zoology. Hold on, is that an “It is-It ice-cream treat” poster next to your computer? Those giant ice-cream sandwiches in your mouth are divine. It is like having individual chocolate snowflakes rest into your mouth and slowly dissolve, as the taste buds consume it. Why tempt us with the bar melting? It is the first day of school and it feels like you’re manipulating us? I can not stop staring at it. Maybe it is the opera music that takes me into the bar. The higher the pitch, the more I can’t resist the temptation of ditching your class and going to the ice-cream truck.
As I look back at your clock which is a few hours ahead, I can not stop thinking about my friends. There is Jason and Patrick whom I knew since kindergarten, Dexter, Ryan, and Edwin whom I knew since middle school, and Tyler, who I just met last year. It is hard to believe that time goes so quickly. Looking at the clock which reads 1:55 (even though it’s 11:55); I can not take in the fact that we are already sophomores. Two more years and we will all be seniors, and three more years until we go to college. Though our lives must move on, it is difficult for me to accept that I may never see some of my friends again. Skyping, texting, and instant messaging are the future, but until you meet someone face to face, you can never get the same jocular “atmosphere” like you used to. Sure there are high school reunions, but everyone changes. Instead of that teen who played on Varsity football, you get the middle-aged, half-balding business man who gets minimum wage. What happened to the memories? Instead of talking about rallies and girls, you start talking about politics and which car has better gas mileage. Where is that friendship you had thirty years ago? However, our paths separate, and said best by the Roman Stoic philosopher Lucius Seneca, he said, “Whatever begins, also ends.”
It’s almost done. Just a few more minutes, and I can have my lunch. Sitting quietly and staring at objects is the toughest thing for me to do. I want to jump out of my desk and run around the classroom with my shirt off. If there is something that can keep me focused. Look at that; a Yoda quote. “Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.” I’ve always been fascinated by Yoda. Not from his language but because of his message. It is hard to believe that a Star Wars franchise could produce such powerful yet deep quotes. From “May the force be with you,” to my personal favorite, “Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.” Looking at Yoda, he reminds me of a mix between my parents. Speaking with powerful intentions, and telling it from the heart, my parents are individual Yoda’s.
Ding, ding, ding. The bell has rung and I am off. Getting out, I take one last sniff of the classroom, and there is nothing but strawberry gum. As I look around, I smell it around my area. I take one last smell, and as I look down at my shoe, I see a fresh wad of gum stuck to the bottom. What a day!