What is it to be normal? | Teen Ink

What is it to be normal?

February 19, 2012
By PeNfReAk10 PLATINUM, Chino Hills, California
PeNfReAk10 PLATINUM, Chino Hills, California
22 articles 3 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life hands you lemons, take the seeds and plant them.


What is normal?
The dictionary defines: conforming to the standard or a common type; usual; regular; natural.

But what IS normal?

The first thing that comes to mind is that kid with only two friends that wears the same clothes almost every week and says nothing in class. That kid who notices you looking at them and smiles politely before they scuffle to their next period. That kid who never raises their hand and shifts uncomfortably in their seat when the teacher calls on them. That kid who rarely makes jokes, but is actually funny when he makes one.

Normal is...everyone.

Normal is not just that one kid you don’t really know the name of. And, when you think about it, normal is the daily routine every other kid goes through: get up, eat a waffle, go to school, come back, procrastinate a little, do homework, dinner, and go to bed. Then rinse and repeat. No one is really different than you think.



In fact, by every standard, normal is you.


The author's comments:
I really liked this peice because I was in my mojo here and it really got the soft side of me.