What is Voice? | Teen Ink

What is Voice?

November 4, 2013
By allhallowsevekatie PLATINUM, Hampden, Massachusetts
allhallowsevekatie PLATINUM, Hampden, Massachusetts
39 articles 16 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Believe me nothing is trivial"(The Crow)


Imagine you are in school, you are in a class like science, math, or history taking a test everyone’s answer should be the same right? True, except not really, when in writing if everyone had the same answer it would be considered cheating or plagiarism why is that? What is the difference anyway if two people are writing about the same topic what’s the point? The answers to this question are simple really, the answer is voice; a writer’s voice is like their identity, without voice people would never be heard.

First of all when I read something that has good voice, I feel like I am getting to know the person who wrote it. That is not quite true. I’m not getting to know the person; I’m getting to know the person that the author wants to present through their words. When you read a book you want to feel like you understand where the person is coming from, that is what sucks you in and helps you truly picture the situation. If a person is expressing themselves, trying to explain who they are in their piece, you want to feel like you know them, like you can feel their personality seeping through the pages; for example when a person describes themselves in a light, happy voice you can tell that they are a generally happy person.

Additionally, a writer should be able to write in the appropriate tone based on the current topic or situation they are writing about. A good example of that would be when you write a get well soon card to a family member or friend, you want to sound light hearted and happy when you write to make the reader feel that way as well vs. when you are writing to your boss about the amount you are getting paid, you would want to sound serious, but nice so that you get your point across but don’t get fired. When you’re writing the reader should feel the way YOU want them to feel, mad when you want them to be mad, and happy when you want them to feel happy, no matter what the subject. For instance if a character in the plot dies and your writing a children’s book you would make it seem like a happy and good thing, explaining how the character went to heaven with the angels instead of explaining their gory death.

Moreover, a person’s voice when they are writing should make the piece individual, personal, and almost authentic in a way. When you read a book by your favorite author, it appears obvious that it was he or she who wrote it, they have a certain way of writing that lets you know right away that you are reading a book by them, they could always write short paragraphs with simple vocabulary and a friendly tone, or they could always write long dark paragraphs filled with gore, it’s all in the individuals writing personality, who they are, their voice. Voice it’s a wonderful thing is it not?

In conclusion, voice is what makes up a writers personality, feelings, tone, individuality, and helps you realize that they truly care about their piece. Without voice the world would have only repetitive essays and stories over and over again, we would not be able to tell on writer form another, there would be no difference at all between to different essays on the same topic, teachers wouldn’t even be able to truly grade a person on their writing abilities. Each one of us has a unique way of writing, and because of that we can let our voice come thorough, and get our point across, without voice people wouldn’t be able to explain their beliefs and we would always be at war within ourselves what if people had no way of telling us how they felt? Voice, this essay was only the simplest definition of voice.


The author's comments:
I just studied voice in English class, i did this for extra credit, and loved the way it came out.