The Day Jalen Left | Teen Ink

The Day Jalen Left

January 5, 2009
By Anonymous

Chapter 1
The beginning
I was just waking up in bed and started to follow my normal morning routine. Wake up, brush my teeth, get changed, comb my luscious blonde hair, pack my bag and eat! Oh and of course put on some cologne to impress the ladies at school.

“Ah, the wonderful invention of cologne. With this I will be irresistible to the ladies.” I say to myself with great pride and dignity.

So as I head out the door my mom waves goodbye to me. She asks for a kiss but I refuse.
“Mom stop it you’re embarrassing me!” I scream.

So as I am on my way to my bus stop I notice to day seems a bit different. “It seems warmer today,” I think to myself. It was sunny out as always though nothing was that different.

“Today is going to be a great day, I can feel it,” I say to myself.

As I walk I think to myself “step inline don’t mess up,” I don’t know why but I always think about the stupid little things that my body always does automatically. Like blinking and walking and breathing. It’s very strange.

When I arrive at my bus stop I say hello to all my friends. They all seem so happy today as well. I notice they all are listening to music, as usual. There is always little chatter at the bus stop. Everyone always brings an ipod or an mp3 to listen to as they wait for the bus to come. Our stop is always last for the bus to pick up so we are there for about fifteen minutes anyways. We never get any good seat on the bus since we are the last stop so we are forced to sit in a seat with three people when it’s only meant for two people.

As we arrive at school I am usually the first to get off the bus because I usually grab the first seat I can get. I wait for my friends to get off. Then we walk to the steps, walk up the steps, open the door, and sit down on the bleachers in the gym. As always, they are too crowded so I sit on the steps of the bleachers.

Some kid throws a marker at the kids in the front row. “Hey, you, cut that out. They are not throwing anything at you so don’t throw things at them,” I say firmly.

Then coming into the gym, just arriving at the school I see my best buddy. Jalen. I stand up and wave my hands around hoping he would notice me so that he could come over and sit with me. But he doesn’t notice. So I sit back down and enjoy my conversation with my friends again.

They start dismissing sections of the bleachers as they do always to send us off to class. When I walk through the hallways on my way to my locker, there is pushing. Not to me personally but one kid pushing another and everyone falling over like dominoes. This happens every morning so most kids are used to it.

As I arrive at my locker my class mates are at theirs as well. I get my books and head off to homeroom.

Chapter 2
Homeroom
In homeroom there are the typical cliques going on only they are a bit smaller. The popular girls, popular boys, band geeks, and the loners. Ever since forth grade I have been considered the band geek so I talk to my friends. We watch the normal “K.V. T.V.”. That’s what they call it. It is a short news cast in the morning, every morning.

As the bell rings we all head off to class, each of us going in our own different direction and meeting our friends on the way there. I talk to my friend Jalen on the way to math with Mr. Wigand because we have all the same classes so we are going in the same direction.

As we enter the room I see Mr. Wigand sitting at his desk on his laptop. He looks very sad and lonely. Then he turns toward me and Jalen.

“You’re moving today? But you just got here and it’s only a month into the school year,” he says sounding very upset.

“I don’t know if I am moving or not. My parents said I wouldn’t be leaving for about another month,” Jalen says in surprise.

“Well it would be nice if you were not to leave that way you won’t have to say goodbye to Philly bear.” (Philly bear is a small stuffed animal bear that Mr. Wigand has to cheer for the Phillies.)

“I don’t know if I am moving today or not but let’s just continue the day,” says Jalen in a slow mumble.

As class goes on it is just like every other day. We do nothing but take notes, learn something new, practice it and maybe, just maybe, take a test. So class seems to last forever. But I get through. So then I head to my locker and I am off to my next class.

Chapter 3
3rd period
Mrs. McClure. One of the funniest teachers you will ever meet. Always trying to make class more fun and exiting. Me, personally, she is one of my favoritest teacher ever. Jalen well he doesn’t think so much.

“Hey Jalen, I heard you were moving today. Mr. Wigand told me,” Mrs. McClure says in a type of mocking voice.

“I DON’T KNOW IF I’M MOVING OR NOT. WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO TELL ME THIS!!!!” he says with rage seeming very paranoid. “Can we please just get on with class?”

Then Mrs. McClure’s voice fills the room for about 15 minutes and everything just seems to go into a blur to me. Listening in class really isn’t my thing. I like to learn with my hands; I like to see how things work and how to make them.

Mrs. McClure’s voice comes back and all I hear is… “Alright so break into your groups and let’s start.”

I look really puzzled. I see everyone running around the room grabbing partners and starting to draw pictures on poster board of who knows what. I am completely lost right now. I look over on the other side of the room and I see Jalen walking towards me.

“Do you wanna be partners?” he asks me.

“Sure, why not?” I say. I just follow along to what he does and act like I know what I am doing but really, I don’t. As he starts to draw, I ask, “What can I do?” like he has taken all the work. So he starts to explain to me what I should do.

As Mrs. McClure walks around the room she stops at our group. “Are you guys having any trouble?” she asks with curiosity.

“No, I think we are good right now,” I say mysteriously acting like I know what I am doing.

“Alright then, we have about ten minutes left in class. I would start to get your books together and get ready to get to lunch,” she says loudly for the whole class to hear.

I think to myself that that was a rather short period. Class never flies by that fast. But it did. Hey, at least it was not as agonizingly painful as math. No offence to Mr. Wigand but his class today was really, really boring.

I hear the bell ring, I run out of the room right away and head off to lunch so I do not have to wait inline for an hour. I run down the stairs and straight to lunch.

Chapter 4
He is gone for good
As mpp ends I head to my locker and get my books. I open my locker to a mess and scattered papers everywhere. It looks like a horrible crime but really it all just seemed to stack up during the year. So I dig around for my books and head off to English.
As I arrive at English with Mrs. Struzinski (our teacher). She seems very welcoming today, usually she acts all old and grumpy. Just joking she is really a great teacher (wink, wink). So I sit down and get my homework out.

I yell to Mrs. Struzinski, “Hi Mrs. Struz!!!” Mrs. Struz is what we call her for short because it is just sillier to us and more fun. I think it’s one of her biggest pet peeves though because I always so it in such an obnoxis tones that it is almost like you want to give me a slap on the cheek.

“Sit down and take your homework out! I have had enough of you today!” she screams in a very scary tone.

The phone rings in the room. There is a dead silence.

“Jalen, its for you...”

“Hello..... oh hi mom... yeah…oh ok…already?... well ok let me get my stuff and I will be down in a minute.” He turns around and says,” I am leaving already I am going to be gone for good.” He leaves the room in disappointment and that was the last time any of us ever saw him ever again.

The end