Musician Scott Krippayne | Teen Ink

Musician Scott Krippayne

April 25, 2012
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


Scott Krippayne is an accomplished musician and lyricist. He wrote the 2011 BMI Song of the Year and has written music for many major recording artists, such as Point of Grace, Jordin Sparks, Jaci Velasquez, Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas.

I was recently given the opportunity to interview Mr. Krippayne for Teen Ink.

Rachel - Tell us about yourself.

Scott Krippayne - Father of 2. Husband to 1. Child of a King.  Love music, basketball, ping-pong, and chips and salsa. 
 
RH - How did you first become interested in music?

SK - One of my older brothers is a musician.  So I watched him in bands when I was growing up, saw him writing songs, etc.  I basically just wanted to be like my big brother.  So when he was done playing the piano - I'd climb up and play.  My parents noticed the interest and got me started in piano lessons [at age 5] and they stuck.  Eventually, I was trying to learn the songs I heard on the radio - and then moved into writing my own stuff.

RH - When did you know that you wanted to make music your career?

SK - Probably late high school.  Wasn't sure how to do it, or what it would look like - but I knew that I wanted to do something I loved, and music certainly fell into that category.  I think taking 3 music classes and no calculus my senior year of high school was probably a telling sign.

RH - You have worked alongside many recording artists; what has been your most memorable experience from one of those collaborations?

SK - Not sure if i can pinpoint one experience... It's always a joy to collaborate with an artist on a song - to try to come alongside them and help communicate what's on their heart.  I'm grateful to have worked with some extremely talented and wonderful people - and I truly enjoy the creative process - the puzzle of discovering a song.  And on the occasions where I've collaborated with other writers and artists have chosen to record those songs, that seems to be a miracle every time.  And always fun to hear an artist interpret a song in their own way...  I still remember the first time I heard Jordin Sparks sing "This Is My Now"  - and remember where I was when I first heard Joe & Demi's version of "Make a Wave" and Kutless' recording of "What Faith Can Do". 

RH - Where do you find inspiration for your music?

SK - Inspiration can come from anywhere... a book, a movie, a conversation, or just something I'm going through at the time.  The challenge is recognizing it - and then having the time to develop the idea.  I've got a ideas and titles jotted down all over the place - just waiting to be written.  And then there are those nights when I wake up at 3am and jump into the studio for a bit to get the initial inspiration down.

RH - How does the process of co-writing a song work?

SK - Co-writing for me is an opportunity to hang with a friend or two, talk about what's going on in life and hopefully find a song thats born out of the conversation.  Then it's the back and forth dialogue, both musically and lyrically, of trying to craft the best song we can - and one we both love.  It's throwing out a lot of ideas and phrases that don't work but might lead onto the path of something brilliant.  It's having the courage to stand on the edge of the diving board and maybe do a face plant into the water - but taking a chance on landing the perfect dive.

RH - What was the inspiration behind your song, "Voyage"?

SK - "Voyage" was inspired by the CS Lewis book, Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Jeff Peabody (co-writer) and I knew they were making the movie so we figured we'd try to write a song to be considered for the movie.  It ended up not getting used - but we like the way it turned out nonetheless.

RH - Please share with us your testimony of Salvation.

SK - I grew up going to church on Sundays, and believed that there was a God, but never really thought that much about how that applied to my life.  When I was in high school I got involved with a group called Young Life and that was where I first heard the good news of the Gospel - and the first time I heard about a personal relationship with Jesus.  The pieces of the story began to come together and make sense and I began to understand my need for a Savior.  It was the leaders in Young Life who really lived out Jesus to me. They were different - in a good way.  And it was the summer before my senior year in high school when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. 

RH - What new projects are you currently working on?

SK - I'm always doing some writing and producing... taking shots at various records, movies, and television shows.  Much of the stuff doesn't get a life beyond my iTunes folder - but some things land in various places.  Also, I recently finished a new record called "Fight For Love" - basically a collection of songs I believed in that talk about the hard work of loving well.  It's been fun to hear reaction to the new songs.  I've decided to do some online concerts as well via stageit.com - it's been a blast - and i hope to do more.

RH - What advice do you have for aspiring musicians?

SK - Advice... keep doing what you do!  And find outlets to share what you do. If you sing, find places to sing, school, coffeehouses, church, etc. If you play an instrument - keep practicing and try to find places to play. If if you write - then write, write, and write some more - listen, read, journal - take in the life around you and write about it.  And do your best to pursue excellence and try to enjoy wherever you are on the journey.