Mr. Joshua Hall | Teen Ink

Mr. Joshua Hall

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

As a freshman, people told me that German was the hardest out of their classes, and taking it would be signing your own death wish. After I transferred schools, I finished my freshman year, signing off that I wanted to take German as my language class. 

Walking into room 348, I was nervous. I took a seat in the very back, fidgeting with my necklace and a lucky pen. I watched as a short man walked into the room, humming a tune as he walked. He walked up to the projector screen and introduced himself as Mr. Joshua Hall. He called roll, and when he was finished, he walked back in front of the projector screen, pulled out a step ladder, and stood atop it, calling for everyone’s attention.

I watched as this short man started cracking jokes and talking with people about what they do for fun. I lost most, if not all of that initial anxiety that first half day, which was amazing since the anxiety remained for the rest of the classes that I took. But not every teacher had a spare Krampus costume sitting in a basket. 

Mr. Hall’s class is amazing, because he starts every day out with a continuous dad joke, that somehow can go on for just under two minutes. If we’re lucky, he’ll stand on his step stool and make the dad joke there. He teaches us the basics first and then develops into more complex things, unlike most teachers, who give you a formula and expect you to know how to use it right off the bat. His way of teaching has inspired me, even more, to become a teacher when I get older, since I’d love to be the kind of teacher that he is, but maybe without the step ladder. 

Mr. Hall also does an amazing job of creating a bond between himself and his students, helping them stay engaged, no matter how tired they may be. He understands that students and teachers alike shouldn’t have to wake up at four or five in the morning and be expected to learn just a few hours later. He also allows retakes on tests, saying that all people deserve equal chances, so if there’s a student that missed several days, he allows that student to wait a few days until they take the test, so they’re more prepared. Once again, he’s able to distinguish himself from other teachers, and even if he’s a man with a bit of hearing loss, that doesn’t stop him from being the best German teacher to ever step foot on this planet.

Mr. Hall has been a huge inspiration for me, and everyone that he teaches.