Mr. Wagner | Teen Ink

Mr. Wagner

February 15, 2023
By odie2004 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
odie2004 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was young I've known that I loved the ocean and lakes.  I loved fish, crabs, squid, and anything that lives in the water.  I would have never known that I could have a career based on what I loved until I got to my 7th grade science class.  Mr. Wagner, the best teacher I have ever had, was the first person to really inspire me.  He inspired me to become a marine biologist, although I may not be going to school to become a marine biologist, but now I am following that passion and going to school to become an ichthyologist which is a fish biologist.  

I remember on one of the first days of science class he went around asking everyone what they wanted to do when they grew up.  It felt so personal and I know that he truly cared about us.  I don't remember what I said but as the class went on he would talk about different jobs that related to science. 

One of my favorite things about Mr. Wagner though was his record player.  Every day he would bring in a new record to play on his record player.  The exposure to all these different types of music was beautiful.  He made school fun for me.  I had never had a teacher that would take time out of their class to play music and go through the true meaning behind the music.  It was such a nice break from doing work.  The music acting almost like a therapy session.

He inspired me to work my hardest.  I always had trouble throughout school.  But he would help me through my troubles.  He would always ask if I needed any help and even though I didn't like asking for help, I felt safe asking Mr.Wagner.  He never judged anyone for not knowing something, Instead he would use it as a learning opportunity to teach rather than judge.


Out of every teacher I have ever had, Mr. Wagner has been the best teacher I could have ever asked for.  He is the first teacher to make me want to learn, the first to make me excited to come to school.  I am so glad that I got to have him as my teacher because without him being in my life I wouldn't be the same person I am today.  Even though I will be graduating this year and starting a new chapter in my life, I will never forget the man that changed my life for the better.