Lynnae Erickson | Teen Ink

Lynnae Erickson MAG

May 26, 2010
By Taylor Canfield BRONZE, Rochester, Washington
Taylor Canfield BRONZE, Rochester, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever wondered why coaches make you work your butt off while they stand and watch you suffer? Well, my favorite coach never does that. She works out with you, suffers through the pain with you, and celebrates with you when the work finally pays off. For these reasons, and many others, Mrs. Erickson is the coach and teacher that I am nominating for Educator of the Year.

As a member of the cross-country and basketball teams, I have never had a coach I liked better than Mrs. ­Erickson. She really brings the team together and listens to everyone’s ideas, and even though some of us didn’t get along, we were able to play well as a team and scrape ­together a few wins.

The basketball game I remember best was the last one of the season – when I finally made my first basket. As I was dashing across the half-court line after the ball swished through the net, I leaped for joy and pride. On the sidelines, Mrs. Erickson was celebrating too, doing a comical little monkey dance to honor my achievement. I love her coaching techniques, even when she’s trying not to laugh too hard as I fall for the millionth time.

I’ve never had Mrs. Erickson for math, but my friends say that she’s superb. Every class, she presents a problem of the day, and solves it with the entire class. She also helps her students understand math’s use in everyday life by having them build a miniature scale house. All my friends loved this project, and I’m sorry I never experienced it.

Mrs. Erickson is not only a teacher and coach, though, but a friend who listens to your problems and helps you. Whether you need relationship advice – she has an uncanny ability to know whom everyone is dating – or if you just want to talk, she always finds time. For instance, when my dad was diagnosed with leukemia before Christmas, she gave me a hug and offered to talk whenever I needed support. Mrs. Erickson comforts you, and if you need ­advice, she is the best person since her words are always given with your best interests at heart.

Whether you need a coach, a teacher, or someone to lend an ear, Mrs. Erickson is always happy to help, even if she is sore from yesterday’s practice. She is always patient with her players, even if you’re new at basketball. She always participates during practice, and demonstrates proper form to help you perfect your abilities. She inspires her students to be the best person possible.