Educator of the Year: Ms. Martinez | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year: Ms. Martinez

By Alan_Cholico BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Alan_Cholico BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Have you ever felt like you’ve had one educator or teacher that actually cares about you and what you learn? Well I certainly have. Just when I thought my 8th grade teachers weren’t going to be very fun or exciting I met Ms. Martinez.

Ms. Martinez used to be my science teacher for 8th grade and she was one of the nicest teachers I’ve ever had. Also, she always had everything very organized of what we were going to do on a specific day. The thing that made her stand out the most is how we actually learned the subject. It wasn’t any boring book work, endless notes, or stressful projects, it was just having fun with labs and creative games she came up with. Her goal was to teach us everything we needed without it being boring. Most of my teachers in 8th grade were not very creative when it came to teaching their subject, most of them just showed us boring powerpoints so we could do boring note-taking.

Her personality was also very good, she liked to think positively and was always willing to help a student out. Every time I walked in her classroom, she always had a smile on her face. The environment in the classroom was always great and everyone seemed to get along. The students in the classroom interacted with one another whenever it came to a group activity. No one ever seemed bored in her class, it was usually the class you would go and actually enjoy learning to everyone that had her, even if science wasn’t their favorite subject. The only time people acted differently was when there was substitute teachers.

I don’t think you could compare any teacher to Ms. Martinez if you met her personally. You can think what you want, but for me I think she’ll be the best teacher I’ll ever have.