Jefe | Teen Ink

Jefe

By Maggie Ellingson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Maggie Ellingson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

I never understood Spanish, until seventh grade when my middle school got a new Spanish teacher. His name was Mr. McKenna, but everybody called him “Jefe”. Jefe means “Boss” in Spanish and that relates to his funny personality. Jefe made Spanish fun and easy. He associated fun with learning; that really kept me interested. Jefe cared about us and how we did in class, he would always set aside time for kids who needed extra help, even if it cut into his personal life. As valedictorian from his high school, he not only could help out in Spanish, but also in any other subject too, which is definitely not a requirement as a teacher.

Jefe was young and knew how to talk to teens. I could tell him anything and he would help me out. Jefe never looked down on us. He always treated us like we were one of his friends. Jefe would play basketball with students after school or during lunch and recess. He made everyone feel comfortable and like a friend. Jefe was always a great role model and many students looked up to him. He would teach us life skills and how to prepare for high school and college since he recently attended both. He always tried to find the best in people, and would stick up for the underdog. Before I graduated from eighth grade he wrote everyone a letter about all the positive traits they have and how they could put it to use.

I haven’t kept in touch with Jefe because he doesn’t work at my middle school anymore, but I still think of him from time to time. I will always remember Jefe being such a fun outgoing guy. He was a good friend and an excellent teacher.