A Hero in my Eyes | Teen Ink

A Hero in my Eyes

May 14, 2008
By Anonymous

Christopher Reeve once said, “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and the strength to endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” When I read this quote for the first time my mother’s name instantly appeared in my head. This quote by Christopher Reeve almost epitomizes my mother and the obstacles she has overcome. She was raised in a home with very little money. Neither of her parents was ever home so at the age of fourteen she was forced to drop out of school and get a job to help support the family. She also had a younger brother who, while she was working, also had to find time to raise him. While working she met a man who she later fell in love with. This man soon became my father. She fell so deep in love with this man that she left home to be with him. This man helped to procreate three more children. Little did she know that he was a controlling man and was very abusive. He was emotionally and physically abusive to the point where she finally told him to leave.
This is where our family is now; my mother is a single parent of four children who overcomes many obstacles everyday. In my eyes, she is a hero in many different ways. The job she has now is not a high-paying job but she somehow always finds a way to get us the things we need. She is always loving and always compassionate. She is always busy; never given a moment to sit down because she is always in her vehicle driving us to our destinations for our sports events or choir concerts or the many other various things we always have going on. She attends every meeting she can, always trying to be as informed on our as lives as possible. I plan to attend college in the fall and even though we may not have the money for it now, she always helps me persevere through the tough times, telling me that we will get the money somehow. She has always said money is not the object of concern, getting my degree in education is.
My mother is my hero for many reasons. She is loving and compassionate. She truly cares about her children and wants us to succeed in all we do. She pushes us to be the best that we can in everything that we try. She is a single parent trying to raise her four children with the highest moral values and strongest religious background that one person can. She is a hero most of all, because she has been the strong person, the rock in my life.