Idris and Robina M. | Teen Ink

Idris and Robina M. MAG

By Anonymous

     To many teens, they are annoying, big-headed, overprotective, worrying, not-understanding, from the “flower-power” era who’ve watched one-too-many episodes of “The Bold and the Beautiful.” And to me, they are exactly that, but more. They are my parents. From the day my mother found out she was pregnant with me, my parents have struggled and fought.

The doctors told my mother that there was a big risk I would be born severely handicapped, both physically and mentally. My mother was advised to end the pregnancy, but my parents stood by their decision to have me. Nine months later I was born, but not without difficulties. I was born still inside the placenta, which meant I had a chance of suffocating, but I survived. My parents had won their first challenge. From that moment, they continued to work so they could provide for me as well as my dad’s younger brother and sister who were living with us too.

My dad was working and finishing his studies at the same time, while my mom worked, still finding time for me. My parents gave me a crammed, busy, yet loving life. Then my two brothers were born,

and even though my parents were struggling financially, they tried their best to support us in every way possible.

During my whole life, I have seen my parents in financial crisis, in debt, and their marriage go through ups and downs. What amazes me is that they always managed to fight back and pull through. It seems like when they survive one storm there’s another one waiting. All these storms have left marks and scars.

My mother has had a number of illnesses. Her joints and her bones have been weakened by all the work she has done, and migraine headaches are her newest enemy. She is in constant pain, but never complains. I’m proud but envious of her fantastic artistic talent, and I hope she can have her own art exhibition one day.

My dad is physically exhausted. His back and shoulders are paying the price of years and years of hard work, and even though he now has a rich education and a fine job, there are still days where he’s almost dying of pain.

Despite their fragile health, my parents have never failed to be there for me. Yes, my dad forgot how to spell my name, yes, my mother has told me to go to my room and leave her alone, and yes, my parents have grounded me several times, but they have never failed to listen to me. They have always given me second chances, always been there if I needed anything and most importantly, they never failed to love me. We are a family, and just like any family, we have quarrels, disagreements, discussions, doors slamming, but at the end of the day, we sit at the dinner table together as a family.

Mom, Dad, thank you for everything you have done for me. Thank you for being my safety net, thank you for teaching me the beauty of life, and thank you for being my parents. For everything you have done for me, I cannot thank you enough and I will forever be grateful. Mom and Dad ... you are my heroes