The Mother of Modern Fiction | Teen Ink

The Mother of Modern Fiction

By Melody.Alli13 BRONZE, Front Royal, Virginia
Melody.Alli13 BRONZE, Front Royal, Virginia

What we call human nature in actuality is human habit-Jewel

It is rare to find fiction these days that truly touches you in an irrevocable way, causing you to question things about yourself that you never have before. Jodi Picoult is an author that does just that. A genius as well as a dedicated scholar she truly embodies the soul of great fiction writing.

I first started reading her books in the fall of 2012 when I picked up My Sisters Keeper. Unable to put it down I had finished it within two days and I was already itching to read another. Now just 6 months later I have read every book by her (at least the ones my library carries). So I am left to wait anxiously for her next release.

At first glance her books seem random, their topics wide and far apart. Yet, if you look into the very center of them, they all have one common aspect that holds them together: the courtroom. From a botched double suicide attempt to an Amish girl accused of murder all her stories have a case in court. Although the court theme is interesting I think the most intriguing part of her writing is her ability to let you look at the story from everybody’s point of view. Throughout her books you change characters with every new chapter leaving you wondering truly who is wrong and who is right. You will slowly grow attached to each of her characters and keep them in your heart for a long while afterwards.

If there is anyone who should be considered a hero in literature it would be Jodi Picoult for leading you to question not only the aspects of everyday life but also the fragile foundation on which we claim humanity.