Who Is Your Hero? | Teen Ink

Who Is Your Hero?

December 11, 2017
By Anonymous

I consider my hero to be Jack Kirby. He was the artist for early DC and Marvel Comics. As an artist I idolize and respect what Kirby has done for the brand. Him and Stan Lee created some of the most iconic characters to date. Superheroes like Spider-Man, Ironman, and Captain America are still popular today despite their creation being over thirty years ago. His interpretation of these characters brought a new look to comic books in general.
While writing for Marvel he and Stan Lee created characters that include Thor, The Hulk, The Fantastic 4, The X-Men and many more. These characters are still popular to this day and continue to build off of what Kirby created. The storylines he wrote were creative and loved by the fanbase he had built. He had a hand in cartoons as well as the comic books and those were successful as well.


Jack Kirby may have worked for Marvel but in 1970 he left Marvel for rival DC comics due to him feeling mistreated in terms of authorship credit and creative freedom. He went on write the New Gods and create characters like Darksied and other DC storylines. After his short run with DC Kirby would return to marvel and write for them once more.


He wasn’t just an artist. Kirby was a writer and editor as well. He wrote over one-thousand comic books and was known as the “The King” amongst fans. He had two awards named after him and was a very influential figure in the comic book world. His creations are what began comic books’ rise to popularity.