Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I would like to start by thanking you for the sacrifices you made to give this country the freedom we have today. Also, I want to say welcome home. I know when you arrived in the States from Vietnam that you were welcomed with disrespect and ungratefulness. I can’t even imagine how you felt after what you did for our country and coming home to people who are angry at you for protecting their freedom. I am writing to thank you for the blood you shed for this country and give you a proper welcome home.

My name is RJ. I am a high school senior in Wisconsin. I am writing to you to express my gratitude for the sacrifices you made and the bravery you and your fellow servicemen and women displayed. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be able to live with the freedoms I have.

Thank you for your service and the bravery you showed. You may have been against the war yourself and were drafted, but you still fought for the freedom of millions of strangers. Even though you fought for them, they greeted you with disrespect and anger. Those people need to realize that you and your fellow servicemen and women are heros. 

I truly am thankful for everything you have done in making the United States the greatest country there is. Thank you for the blood you shed and welcome home.