How To Do A Backflip Off A Swing | Teen Ink

How To Do A Backflip Off A Swing

Do you ever see people at your local playground on the swings doing tricks that you wish you could do? Do you see them jumping off, hanging upside down or backflipping? Backflipping off the swing is a very difficult thing if you're nervous of getting hurt or failing; however, it is a great thing to do when you're bored. After talking with Briana Prox, we discovered that backflipping off a swing isn't that hard as long as you are in a safe area, are prepared, and have courage.

The first step to backflipping off the swing is to make sure the ground is soft or filled with wood chips or some other ground filler. Make sure that the swing is durable and is at your height and maybe even higher so it's easier to land. It is very important for a first time backflipper to also watch out for other kids running behind or infront of you, it will be very dangerous if your foot kicks them in the face. 

The next step to back flipping is to be prepared for the backflip. Make sure you're swinging high enough to land properly and aren't going too fast that you don't know when to fall back. Time your swings and try to fall back while going upward so you land upright. Backflipping on your way down will cause you to hit the ground harder and not land safely. 

Lastly, have courage. Know your proper movements. “Let your legs swing over your head while leaning back,” says Prox. Your first couple of times your land will not be perfect, you will be focusing more on flipping backwards rather than what happens after the fact. Once you do it enough to not think about the actual flip anymore, you can start learning and teaching yourself how to land on your feet and stand up. 

However, this activity can be very dangerous as well. You can die, snap your neck, hurt your back, fall on your back, fall on your head, twist an ankle, or get heavily embarrassed. Make sure you follow those steps carefully to avoid danger. Practice on a soft surface away from people or things, be prepared, and don't be scared. Backflipping enhances your playground play in a very positive way. Be safe!

this piece was a challenge because I have never done a back flip before let alone off of a swing. I had to write this piece in the shows of someone who has done a back flip before and was ready to teach other people.