How to Serve the Perfect Glass of Wine | Teen Ink

How to Serve the Perfect Glass of Wine

You may think pouring a glass of wine is a simple task: pouring however much wine you want with whatever wine is sitting out. Did you know the amount of wine you pour can actually change the flavors and aromas in which you are about to drink? The wine must have the perfect volume in order to accomplish this. Luckily, it is quite a manageable task once you know the correct way. 

For a bartender, pouring a glass of wine is one of the first jobs you learn to do. Emily Fladhammer, a beginner bartender of two weeks, has just perfected this task and has it fresh in her mind on how to do it. She can naturally go step by step to pour a perfect glass of wine for a customer. 

First, there are steps before the pour. Fladhammer grabs a wine glass from the dishwasher in which she will then let air out before she uses it. The glass is hot and wet, and cannot be used until it is cooled down. Then she polishes the glass to clean off the spots. When the glass is ready, she picks out the wine that was ordered. If the wine is white, it needs to be cold. If the wine is red, it does not need to be cold; it should be room temperature.

Finally, she’s ready to pour the wine. This is where the technique comes into play. The technique comes with some practice once you learn it exactly. Fladhammer says, “for the first time you pour, you want to get two wine glasses and place them together so they are touching each other. Where the glasses touch is how high you want to fill the glass”. Now, as a beginner, you’re going to have to practice a lot to memorize where this line is so you don’t need the two glasses anymore.

Behold, you have poured your first perfect glass of wine! This should then be served to the customer with a napkin. When putting the bottle away, you want to make sure to label it with a date since you can’t serve wine that's been open for more than a week. And that is the beginners course of how to serve the perfect glass of wine.