Interview of an Information Officer | Teen Ink

Interview of an Information Officer

By NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois

Roger J. B. is hard to describe. Saying that he is “smart” doesn’t do him justice. His father passed away when Roger was just eight years old. Growing up without a father is hard to do. But Roger didn’t just succeed at everything he did. He thrived at it. Whatever it was, sports, academics, or social life, Roger passed everything with flying colors. Today, he is a father and a husband, and he is here today to answer the following questions about his job.

Q: Describe your job and workplace.
A: I am a Business Information Technology Leader in Naperville, Illinois. It is the corporate headquarter for this Global industry leading air, water and energy company. I work directly with the senior business leaders to assist them in creating business strategies and technology plans to meet their goals.

Q: What type/amount of schooling do you need for this job?
A: Minimal a Bachelors degree, but a Masters degree is preferred

Q: What interested you to choose this job?
A: The ability to work and interact at a strategic level with the leaders of the business. To build key strategies and plans that allow us to continue to grow and provide value to not only the shareholders, but to the communities we serve.

Q: On a normal day, what do you do in your job?
A:I attend many meetings, work planning sessions, create plans, facilitate strategy development and review.

Q: What are the benefits of your job?
A:First and foremost, the key benefits are to allow me to support my family. The benefits to the company are to ensure that the corporate objectives are met by aligning each business unit’s strategies and developing robust business cases to justify key initiatives.

Q: Did anyone inspire you, and if so, who?
A: No, I can’t say I have ever had a mentor or key person who inspired me in the business world. I do have inspirations outside of the professional area, which comes from my family members, church leaders, etc.

Q: Would you suggest this as a good job for students coming out of school?
A: This would not be an entry level position for students fresh out of school. It would however be an area that someone with several years of business and IT experience could flourish.

Q: How does your job affect your personal life?
A: It allows me to support my family, provides a sense of self worth, a place to interact with others and provides professional growth, networking, etc.

Q: What is one thing you would change about your job?
A: The pace is very hectic. I would slow things down a bit as we tend to be very reactive to many corporate changes.