Sophomore Sentimental For Seniors | Teen Ink

Sophomore Sentimental For Seniors

The year was 2014, my Sophomore year. My lunch table consisted of one Sophomore, me, one Junior, Sarah, and seven Seniors, Erin, Allison, Jenny, Kara, Olivia, Megan, and Alexis. The only reason I sat at that table was because my sister sat there and I didn’t know where to sit. As the year continued, I got closer and closer to each and every one of them. By the end of the year I was closer to each one of them than I ever had been, they were always there for me and I was for them. Then, May 21, the day they all left, except, for Sarah and I. Sarah and I were the only ones for the next month, we were abandoned and we felt as if there was a hole in our hearts. Those next few months without them were difficult, not being able to tell them how our days were going,or tell them exciting stories.

Then graduation day came, I told myself, “This won’t be too hard,” as I started playing “Pomp and Circumstance,” while my friends walked down the aisle, I started off doing good, but when I saw my sister walk down the aisle, I started thinking about how lonely I would be when she goes off to College, which then made me realize it would be hard to leave all of them. It was all downhill from there, as I sat quietly and listened to each name being called to go receive their diplomas, each of my friends would smile and pose as I took a picture.
Six of the seven Seniors at my table were in band, and I would always make faces at them, especially Erin while she conducted, I would always find a way to make faces at Ashley and Erin because they were always diagonal from me, or in Ashley's case, right next to me. When summer came to an end and I returned back to school, I started getting used to not seeing them in band, or at lunch, although I missed them dearly, I had a good grasp on this new chapter of my life life.
Just the other day I was waiting patiently for band practice to start, I was the only one because everyone of my other friends are in volleyball, soccer, or they just didn’t arrive yet. The room was as quiet as a mouse, and all the sudden I started to feel lonely, and started remembering the excitement, joy, and happiness of band last year. All these happy, fun memories, came rushing into my head, like the time at our band party when we played twister and had a dance party, that is when I lost it, I felt a tear roll down my face. Once practice started I was still sad, but two hours into practice, and I saw a familiar face standing at the top of the hill, it was Erin. I was, so glad I got to see at least one of my friends, well actually two, as practice neared to an end, Erin came up and gave me a hug, as we walked back inside, and got ready to leave, I turned around and to my surprise saw Megan standing behind me, at that point in time, it was as if all the sadness left my mind and my mind was filled with happiness.
  Then I remembered even though all of my friends and I are far apart, we will always be together, we can always write letters, Snapchat, Skype, and text each other. Yes, everyone has their ups and downs, but usually after those downs there will always be an up following close behind.