memoir | Teen Ink

memoir

October 9, 2014
By Beth Stack BRONZE, Leroy, Michigan
Beth Stack BRONZE, Leroy, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Most people don't realize that you can lose the people you love unexpectedly, it could be anyone, they can be gone within minutes to seconds. Everything can completely shatter and fall apart within moments of time.
I was 10 years old when I lost one of the people I love most, my mom. Out of no where she got cancer and we still don't know what caused it. The doctors didn't notice that cancer was the problem right away, then when they did it was worse and spreaded out more. There wasn't much they could do to help her, they tried as much as they could. I remember every other day I got to go see her at the hospital, she always made herself look so happy even though deep inside she was full of tears and disappointment. She went through so much to get rid of it. I was too young to realize what completely was going on at that time, I didn't know she was so sick, all I know is every time she got to come home i’d be the happiest person existing.
After a month went by, my grandpa, dad, and my older brother went up to the hospital to see her on July 31st, I wanted to come but this time they wouldn't let me, i didn't know why. 3 hours later they finally came home. We were all standing outside when they got here, looking at them as they got out of the car crying, my grandpa said she passed away. Everyones heart dropped, all they could do was cry and wish this didn't have to happen, we still wish it didn't to this day.
  The doctors couldn't do anything more to help her and I know my mom already knew they couldn't, sadly, she knew it was the end. She didnt like it and really didn't want it to end the way it did, nobody did. She didn't want to leave her family along with us not wanting her to leave, I feel like I still had so much to do with her. My dad said her last words were how much she loves us all and I will never forget.
Losing my mom really made me emotional about losing other people, it makes me stay close to the ones I love. It does still hurt me to know shes gone forever, it hurts to lose the people you love so much and I wouldn't want to lose anyone ever again because the pain is unbearable but sometimes its for the best. Thats why you should care and love the people you love because once they're gone, they're gone forever, you can't change or take anything back.