Who I Was | Teen Ink

Who I Was

i once was a girl who was alone and afriad and i began thinking to myself "why am i like this?" i had plenty of chances to have friends and be in the "popular" crowd but for some reason i chose not to be. i wanted to be alone till i was alone. thats when it sunk in. the regret and the hate for myself.i grew up with a really unstable family. my mother had a problem with drugs and my dad wasnt around. and my moms boyfriend was abusive. i remeber laying in the floor with my 3 younger brothers thinking "will this ever end?". instead of things going forward for the positive outlook through the years everything seemed to get worse. then when i was 11 i didnt think it could get any worse after my paw-paw died. soon after i started to cave in. i was hearing voices humming in my head telling me i was "worthless" and "a mistake". after a few years on my 14th birthday i couldnt take it. i recently got dumped by my fourteen month relationship and i just wanted to die. so i remeber running to the kitchen and grabbing a knive. and without second thought i pushed it into my skin...deeper and deeper intill i couldnt breath and a puddle of blood was on the counter. i felt the worry and anxiety rush out of me. i felt better. but hours after when i wore short sleeves people noticed the cuts and scars. my behavior was out ragous. i was lashing out and fighting i was trying everything i could to get away from...myself. intill i cut to deep or drank to much and i was overdosing. then i knew i had to stop. i went to my counsler at school and told her i was ready to change. thats when i got sent to a intitute in memphis tennessee. i was there for 3 weeks and my mom came and got me. i was doing ok for a while till i was seeing that nothing was changing then i went to my uncle and told him i wasnt doing ok. i was still falling apart. then he got me some more help from meridian and there is when i realized i never got passed 3 months of no self harm. intill now. now im 6 months clean and im okay. i live with my aunt and uncle and i have hope. just by asking someone to help me. i got help 

the reason of this article is that everyone has there own demons and the way you deal with them is how itll affect you for the rest of your life. and i couldnt do much about the skitzophrenia or split personility im diagnosed with but i asked for help and they did everything they could to help me. and i just want people to know. if you want help ask and if you dont. think of the pros and cons of the situation and then see if help is nessasary i bet it will be.