Their’s A First For Everything | Teen Ink

Their’s A First For Everything

October 18, 2018
By Anonymous

I open my eyes and see a crystal clear lake under me. I see a group of people swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking. I look down through the forest. I see a bright river with people fishing. As I listen I hear the birds chirping, the river flowing, the wind whispering past the valley and the humming of the wheels on the metal wire.

I was at a boy scout camp in West Virginia. We were going to be there for a whole week. Luckily we got there early enough to pick our own campsite, of course, we chose the one all the way to the top of the mountain. During our time there a tornado was whispering past our camp going past the valley right next to us was going past our weather. Everyone, there was spending a night in the cafeteria due to a tornado all night. After that everything was closed except the zip line.

My friend bet me 100 dollars if I did the zip line. And of course, I couldn't say no to 100 dollars. After I said yes, he bought a ticket, and he climbed with me to the top of the mountain. As I’m strapped in this harness, I close my eyes and walk on creaking wood. I stopped there and looked down. All I thought was this is like as tall as the statue of liberty. I was scared when I saw a tree in my path near the end as a brick wall in my way. I was stopped at the ledge thinking what would happen, but my friend came up behind me and pushed me off the ledge. I hated him so much for that, but then I looked around. I saw a beautiful view of the mountains and the camps the river and the firing ranges. Near the end of the zip line, I dropped this thick, heavy rope it weighed a ton. so people at the end could slow me down so I don't slam into the tree stand. After I climb down the ladder to the ground I watched other people come in super fast and one person didn't make it all the way so he got stuck over the lake he had to climb all the way to the end before anyone could go through.

After watching that I had to go all the way back to give the harness back that was the worst part and after walking down a mountain, then across a valley with a lake, I got a ride from a boat to get to the other side. Then I had to walk up another mountain just to give back the harness after that I got handed the 100 dollars from my friend. I told him that it was fun, but he was so afraid I could see it in his face. After that, I wanted to go farther like go skydiving and scuba diving in Hawaii. Ever since then I always wanted to do more.


The author's comments:

“I wrote this story because I wanted to try something new in my writing with figurative language. It was confusing on where I should have figurative language but it has some very important details. When you read this I’m trying to say to try something new. When I first went ziplining I was as afraid as a squirrel losing its nut. - Aden, Weier”