Gift From God | Teen Ink

Gift From God

By Mbappè SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Mbappè SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

A slavic origin, my name means proud ruler. It means given by God. In Sanskrit it means awakened or enlightenment. It means cool, calm, and collected. It is like the number 79. Like a bright red, that you can see from anywhere. Like a chameleon, resting peacefully on a tree branch.

My parents had two names in mind when they flew to Russia. They knew which one fit perfectly the day that they met me, in the orphanage. It was by no means a popular name, and they liked it that way. They always said it’s better to be a leader than a follower.

My parents always wanted me to remember where I came from. They wanted me to have a piece of my previous life. My middle name is Aleksei, my name given at birth. It is a reminder that I am of two trees, one in the dust behind me, and one in the ray of sunshine, right in front of me, filled with endless possibilities.

Most people call me Bohdi though. It is shorter, more concise. But it is also harder for people to pronounce correctly. Every time someone tries to say Bohdi for the first time they always get it wrong. But once they say name name correctly they start to realize the proper way to say it.

So the story goes my parents left the orphanage and immediately knew what my name should be. Bohdan, given by God. My name fits perfectly because I was my parents gift from God. I was a miracle for a mother who wasn’t able to have one of her own.