A Summer Thunderstorm | Teen Ink

A Summer Thunderstorm

May 2, 2019
By sunshinescarlett BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
sunshinescarlett BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A coarse and hellish July wind blew against my dampened skin. The murky thunderstorm that was brewing all around me was music to my ears.  The virdiescent trees that were planted on the severed pavement danced. At that moment in time, I knew it was a bad day to run out of gas.  I was half way to my destination. Now, I was stranded. I began my 2-mile trek to the nearest gas station, Circle K, soaked from heaven’s raindrops.  Somehow inside there was a giddy feeling at this silly mistake I had made. 

The errand I was running became a mission to complete. I was to send a letter to my sweet dear great Aunt Theresa a bulletin of notice of my graduation in the coming vernal equinox.  Cars continued to dance by as I walked on the wringing wet pavement towards the street the gas station was sitting at.  The glistening neon sign hit me in the head with another mistake. I forgot my wallet, which had the loot to my ticket to freedom. Swearing under my breath, I turned around with a groan. I kicked a mountainous maple tree trunk, and made my trek back down the 2-mile road.

Sprinting up the saturated asphalt, I began losing hope. I was trying to be a young adult in this wild animal world.  Albuquerque typically enjoys 310 days of sunshine.  Why is it the one day  the weather decides to change its mood and cry me a symphony for my garden I forgot an essential necessity of life? 

 I gave my mom a ring, hoping it to calm my fried nerves. Luckily, there was a bus stop I could catch a break from the torrential rain bearing my skin. On the first ring, she picked up. 

“Hi mom!  I uh, was wondering if you were busy at the moment.”

She seemed puzzled and replied, “Actually, yes Scarlett.  I thought you remembered I had a doctor’s appointment now at 10?”

Red as a tomato, I replied, “Oh yes, sorry I forgot.  No, nothing is wrong.  I even forgot what I called for.”

She giggled back and replied, “Okay Scarlett.  I got to go, love you!”

Silence and rain was now my only friend.   As  far  back  as  my  memory  reads,  I  was  always  trying  to  be  a  mini  adult.   Now  out  in  the  jungle  by  myself,  the  lions  were  ready  to  eat  me.

As I reached my car,  I saw a familiar Toyota  pickup  truck  sitting  beside  my  car.  In  the  back  of  my  mind,  a  miracle  was  dragging  across  my  brain.  It was my dad!  He  was  like  a  shining  star  in  the  moment  where  I  felt  so  much  darkness.

As I reached the truck, he began to get out, handing me a fuchsia colored umbrella. 

“How did you know I was in a rut?” 

He shook his head and spoke, “Scarlett, do you believe in miracles?”

I looked at him puzzled, “Um, yes? Why?”

He began to chuckle, “Your phone somehow butt dialed me. I also heard you swearing under your breath like a sailor.  I heard the disappointment in your voice of you trying to be grown-up but realized in order to be grown up, you needed more guidance from one. You also have your phone tracker on too, so I knew the general area of where to find you.”

I began laughing. Thank goodness it was not to 911, which could have made my situation more mortifying then it actually was. 

My dad began to speak again, “I already filled the car up with gas. We’ll keep this between you and me, deal?”

“Deal,” I said with a smile.  Knowing the rollercoaster the day played out, I can began to appreciate the little things in life, especially the world of electronics.  You never know how truly blessed you are until it accidentally butt-dials you through a storm.


The author's comments:

Scarlett is a 17 year old who is passionate about her writing. She brings a comedic feel to her writing, most of which she draws from her personal experience. She currently resides in New Mexico with her family and her dog Gracie, which all contribute to her writing.